Best heavy duty adhesive remover?

As mentioned in my other post, I'm removing old paint protection film. Scraping the stuff off is half the battle. The remaining glue reside is a big pain to take off as well. Using a paint prep degreaser that I wipe on to a small section, then scrape off with a plastic blade. Have to do at least 5 cycles on each hand size area to get most of the glue off. Is there something stronger, or are they all the same? I don't want to spend another $35 on something like

51ghXj2vweL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

if it's no better than the stuff I have now.

As mentioned in my other post, I'm removing old paint protection film. Scraping the stuff off is half the battle. The remaining glue reside is a big pain to take off as well. Using a paint prep degreaser that I wipe on to a small section, then scrape off with a plastic blade. Have to do at least 5 cycles on each hand size area to get most of the glue off. Is there something stronger, or are they all the same? I don't want to spend another $35 on something like

I'm in the same boat as you. I haven't found anything yet that gets this nasty glue off with any semblance of ease. I'm interested in hearing some responses.

That always worked good for me. Might try mineral spirits.

I use ethanol. It's effective on most adhesives without using aromatics like xylene, toluene and benzene.

Try a wax and grease remover. An auto body channel I watch on YouTube uses it to remove the adhesive residue from emblems and stickers, etc.

Edit, never mind it seems like you were using something like that.

Last edited:
I use ethanol. It's effective on most adhesives without using aromatics like xylene, toluene and benzene.

If you're the MacGyver type, you can make a batch at home using an empty 2 liter soda bottle, some E10 gasoline and water.

I needed to remove adhesive from something (over a decade ago, so forgive the vague circumstances) and the car audio installer at my past job recommended this stuff:

I only ever used it once, but it worked so well the name stuck in my memory.

What you pictured is what I’ve used forever (in aerosol form). We used it to get residue from 3m double sided tape with ease (body side moldings, etc). I’m not and never was a body man, but we had a body shop so we yanked some of their supplies from time to time. It has never failed me, but I’ve never used it for your application either.

What is the substrate you're trying to remove the adhesive from?

Sometimes I'll use an adhesive remover in conjunction with an abrasive if the substrate isn't too delicate.

Back