Scotty don't like clean engines?

For some reason the dealers around here dump a gallon of tire shine under the hood of NEW cars! So much it puddles up. The first time it happened I thought it was just a rogue detailer but it happened a second time at a different dealer so I finally started telling them no tire shine and no dealership stickers. I'm used to seeing it on used cars but never new.

For some reason the dealers around here dump a gallon of tire shine under the hood of NEW cars! So much it puddles up. The first time it happened I thought it was just a rogue detailer but it happened a second time at a different dealer so I finally started telling them no tire shine and no dealership stickers. I'm used to seeing it on used cars but never new.
Better than the ones that blast everything under the hood with rattle can clear coat. We used to have one around here that did that. A while later you have an engine bay full of yellow cracked crap all over everything.

Better than the ones that blast everything under the hood with rattle can clear coat. We used to have one around here that did that. A while later you have an engine bay full of yellow cracked crap all over everything.

Why would they do that????

Clearly nobody in this world is cleaning their engine bay after every drive. But there's a reason that cars rust away in Ohio and they really don't in Mississippi, and it's not how much moisture they see on the roads. If you wash your engine bay, all that moisture will evaporate very quickly from the heat of the engine, salt spray doesn't go away until you wash it off. There's a reason you should wash your car more in the winter, it's to prevent rust. Salt spray from the road gets into the engine bay, and it's not like it's a corrosion free zone. If you ever watch SMA and see all the corroded electrical connectors they deal with in upstate NY, it's 100% caused by all the salt on the roads.

And I'd like to point out that Scotty is in Texas, so the concept of washing off road salt to prevent rust probably never crossed his mind because they don't need road salt in Texas.
No, that is nonsense. I have done too many road salt, rust related repairs to count, and none of them had anything to do with how clean the engine bay was. Rust in the engine may mean you need some penetrant spray, maybe even shear off a fastener every now and again, but that's about it.

As I already stated, if your electrical connectors have bad seals, this should be fixed. Spraying down your engine bay does not solve this at all.

However, as someone who drives older vehicles on salted winter roads to save newer from the undercarriage rust, no that is not at all true what you're suggesting. I have no electrical connector issues. It's entirely body panels, fasteners, tie rod ends, struts/mounts/etc.

It's seeming like you are doing something with no purpose and trying to backwards argue to justify it. It's not reality. There are millions of vehicles subjected to this and not once have I seen my neighbors, or people at the local car wash, spraying down their engine bay in winter.

*What is your method for safely cleaning an engine ?
Depends on how grimy it is.

Typically I pretreat greasy areas with a citrus degreaser, foam it, agitate with brushes, and then hit it with the 40° nozzle.

My Karcher with 3.0 nozzles actually flows less water than a garden hose and if you don't get too close you're not going to force water anywhere.

I did it yesterday, was really easy. ECU, headlight modules, all kinds of stuff are in the bay but honestly you have to mess up pretty bad to get water in places it shouldn't go. Put the hose nozzle on a mist setting and it worked well along with diluted apc and some small brushes. I didn't end up dressing anything as there are a million nooks and crannies and I didn't want to be at it for an hour.

Attachments

• 20210502_200140.jpg
    20210502_200140.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 28
Hard to watch. Style is a blend of my kids trippy "bob the builder" cartoon where everything is constantly bouncing around uneccesarily and an old school "flex seal" or "oxyclean" commercial.

I do like his stories and memory road sidebars and wish he'd stick to reminiscing on hot rod days rather than evangelising his bias for crappy old japanese cars.

I did it yesterday, was really easy. ECU, headlight modules, all kinds of stuff are in the bay but honestly you have to mess up pretty bad to get water in places it shouldn't go. Put the hose nozzle on a mist setting and it worked well along with diluted apc and some small brushes. I didn't end up dressing anything as there are a million nooks and crannies and I didn't want to be at it for an hour.

Get yourself a water based dressing and lightly spritz it over the engine plastics and hoses while the engine is still wet then 'blast' it about with an air line. Leave it dry and a light wipe after it's dried is all it needs.

How about a steamer? I personally have not tried it on an engine but have used it just about anywhere and everywhere in the house. Most engine bays encounter high temps as is so are designed around it so the steam should not be an issue, not to mention its a fraction of the water usage.

When I didn’t know any better he was the only one I listened too. Now I’ve kinda gone away from that. My dad still listens to him every Saturday he broadcasts the questions and answers on the TV. But I will use a degreaser on my engine. My auto teacher always said never spray an engine with water so I don’t clean it with water just because that’s what I learned. I don’t think it would hurt especially if the engine is somewhat new.

Back