Scotty don't like clean engines?

There's one good reason to clean the engine. If you take it to a mechanic for repairs, they'll see a clean engine and everything is shiny, you have a better than average chance of the job being done right. It's psychological. If the customer keeps the engine this clean, obviously, he's detailed oriented. I've done that with my 03' Matrix and each time the mechanic has mentioned how clean the engine bay was.
I can almost assure you this doesn’t cross the mind of 99% of techs or mechanics...

Several manufacturers now have “Do Not Pressure Wash” stamp on the engine covers these days. Seems to me the manufacturers don’t want you pressure washing. I wouldn’t even use a garden hose on today’s engines. Way too many sensors and complicated electrical systems.

A wet rag with some degreaser is all you need.

Several manufacturers now have “Do Not Pressure Wash” stamp on the engine covers these days. Seems to me the manufacturers don’t want you pressure washing. I wouldn’t even use a garden hose on today’s engines. Way too many sensors and complicated electrical systems.

A wet rag with some degreaser is all you need.
Unless you are cleaning something like this, which is quite common.
806D1501-047A-428B-BA4A-941C466134BD.jpeg

Vanity.

That's what you've decided to go with?

Any machine that is clean is easier to work on as you touched on, but it's also easier to inspect. Dirt and grime trap moisture. Moisture corrodes. Organic material blocks drains and water gets into the cabin and/or fuse boxes.

Do you clean your door jambs? Around the trunk?

Guess it's all vanity - why clean anything at all?

Why take a shower ?

':
:LOL:

If you go to a used car lot, do you expect to see a dirty engine bay. Not hardly. Somebody cleaned it.
I cringe when I see the clean engine bays at used car lots because i've personally seen them use clear coat spray paint indiscriminately on everything to make them prettier.

It makes me just wonder if they are trying to hide a leak, and wonder just how much they expect to be paid for their half arsed attempt at cleaning which would never be as careful and competent as you'd do your own vehicle, if you are somehow still mislead that it's important but then you go the extra mile to pay more attention because it's YOUR vehicle.

I would say there is also an exception to the clean engine bay for northern climates. I would be inclined to at least rinse more often in the winter to deal with salt spray. Yes the engine is designed for dirt and grime, but having an active corrosive element in the engine bay is going to lead to nothing but quicker trouble, mostly to wiring and other expensive to repair stuff. I'd much rather replace a leaky gasket than deal with chasing down a flakey sensor caused by corrosion somewhere.

I would say there is also an exception to the clean engine bay for northern climates. I would be inclined to at least rinse more often in the winter to deal with salt spray. Yes the engine is designed for dirt and grime, but having an active corrosive element in the engine bay is going to lead to nothing but quicker trouble, mostly to wiring and other expensive to repair stuff. I'd much rather replace a leaky gasket than deal with chasing down a flakey sensor caused by corrosion somewhere.
I drive in winter salt every year, do not have these problems. Vehicles are designed to withstand this. It is asking for far more trouble trying to clean the engine bay every time you drive, literally since you then exposed it again. Who does this?

You're just as likely to foul the connectors or wires even more trying to clean them, but if you have breaks in wiring or sensors not sealed, that is a maintenance item either way that should be fixed before it leaves you stranded.

I drive in winter salt every year, do not have these problems. Vehicles are designed to withstand this. It is asking for far more trouble trying to clean the engine bay every time you drive, literally since you then exposed it again. Who does this?

You're just as likely to foul the connectors or wires even more trying to clean them, but if you have breaks in wiring or sensors not sealed, that is a maintenance item either way that should be fixed before it leaves you stranded.

Clearly nobody in this world is cleaning their engine bay after every drive. But there's a reason that cars rust away in Ohio and they really don't in Mississippi, and it's not how much moisture they see on the roads. If you wash your engine bay, all that moisture will evaporate very quickly from the heat of the engine, salt spray doesn't go away until you wash it off. There's a reason you should wash your car more in the winter, it's to prevent rust. Salt spray from the road gets into the engine bay, and it's not like it's a corrosion free zone. If you ever watch SMA and see all the corroded electrical connectors they deal with in upstate NY, it's 100% caused by all the salt on the roads.

And I'd like to point out that Scotty is in Texas, so the concept of washing off road salt to prevent rust probably never crossed his mind because they don't need road salt in Texas.

Last edited:
What do you guys use to dress the plastics underhood? I have tire dressing and interior detailer and stuff like that, I assume it's mostly the same type of thing?

I used to find him incredibly annoying, but then I grew to like him. He's likable enough. However, his video titles are often click bait or not lined up with the subject of the video. More annoying is that he often gives contradictory information.

He's a data-point reference, but not a all-knowing omniscient being.

Anyway, I think his point about engine cleaning is that if not done properly you can do more harm than good. An engine detail done correctly is probably a benefit overall. Less dirt, dust, and grime on a machine near working parts is probably a benefit.

Done incorrectly you can literally destroy the machine if you get water in places water doesn't belong.

Coils were bolted down securely. There was nothing wrong with the coil.

The engine has a large plastic cover and the cover was removed to clean the area due to a major repair. I suppose MB was relying on the engine cover to prevent water from reaching the coils?
Yes, I have done numerous 4 coil packs and single coils due to engine washing parties. Some euro coils can make it a very pricey escapade.

Back