Scotty don't like clean engines?

manicrodder

$50 site donor 2022
OK I'm not much of a Scotty fan because his topics don't match his titles at least in the ones I've seen. I don't watch him anymore.
Heard a couple of kids talk that apparently think that he is beyond infallible.
Heard one say Scotty don't believe engines should be washed so we shouldn't either.
Now I admit you can't or shouldn't eat off my engine but I do clean them once in a while. What's his pitch??

His topics are definitely clickbait but yes, it is only about vanity (or duping people into perceived higher resale value) to clean an engine, besides the radiators.

This assumes normal road debris, not fluids fouling connectors or other electrical.

Recognize that his videos are for the layman and many who try to clean their engine bay can do more harm than good if they don't recognize what should be covered.

A clean engine bay is more pleasant to work in, but whether getting past that unpleasantness is worth the effort of cleaning, comes back to vanity. More important is why it is excessively dirty if there are leaks, and yet at a certain point, leaks are harder to find if it isn't clean.

Most of all, Scotty is about generating content. He's a machine and is going to put content out there, even after senile enough that he's just waving hands in the air and declaring he's been a mechanic for a thousand years.

Even so, you are wasting your time cleaning general gunk in an engine bay that has no faults. Anything that needs sealed has a seal. Exterior grime is not going to cause those seals to fail, rather time (material degradation), heat cycling, pressure, etc.

Last edited:
The new Scotty is beyond terrible, can't imagine anybody who knows anything about cars watching him now. There's nothing wrong with pressure washing a modern engine as they all use triple sealed weatherpack connectors, FIPG gaskets, etc so they are very well sealed and resistant to moisture.

If you want a clean engine, you have to clean a little at a time ... Don't let it pile up for 7 years. It's like weeds you just have to spend a little time regularly.

I pressure washed (low pressure) in old days after spraying gunk remover but covered all wiring and electrical connections. I don't wash or pressure wash like that anymore. I Don't like the idea of water getting everywhere . Cars now have skid plates to prevent too much water spraying up there.

Last edited:
I don‘t use high pressure … just a good spray cleaner … soak and rinse.
Gallon pump-up sprayer and a $1 jug of distilled water because our tap water spots like crazy on black …

Don’t expect miracles.

There’s value in covering the battery and electrical box, spritzing with the engine cleaner and gently rinsing with low pressure.

Turning the engine bay into some kind of showpiece is a fool’s errand.

The new Scotty is beyond terrible, can't imagine anybody who knows anything about cars watching him now. There's nothing wrong with pressure washing a modern engine as they all use triple sealed weatherpack connectors, FIPG gaskets, etc so they are very well sealed and resistant to moisture.

I'm not buying it. If that were the case SMA would never have videos about connectors growing green fuzz in them. Water is going to get in.

Here's the engine bay of a 250k mile Odyssey I did last week:

0418211535_HDR.jpg

Clean everything. A clean machine is a happy machine.

Years ago I would say he was tolerable and made some sense with his comments, etc. For some time now his 'you're stupid if you _______' or 'don't ever buy _______' rants are just a waste of time/space. Surely he spends far more time in front of a camera than under a car and if that's his thing then it is what it is. I will say that based on his approach for the most part and his sloppy/unorganized ways there's no way I'd let him near my car even for free.

i used to find Scotty ridiculously annoying, but now I kind of tolerate him a little bit more because some of his stuff is ok.

I clean my engine twice a year, once before winter and once right after pollen season (around June). Just spray it down with simple green; rinse it, shop air pressure dry it and then drive it a good 30 minutes. Done.

I have cleaned every engine I have owned with the pressure washer at the carwash. Never put the nozzle less than a couple feet from anything in the engine bay, as you'll inject water if you do. No problems ever with water getting into anything. I also drive in the rain and have popped the hood to see how wet things are, they do get wet. All my engine compartments look brand new.

I've met Scotty and he talks fast and loud in person, but is a nice guy.

His topics are definitely clickbait but yes, it is only about vanity (or duping people into perceived higher resale value) to clean an engine, besides the radiators.

This assumes normal road debris, not fluids fouling connectors or other electrical.

Recognize that his videos are for the layman and many who try to clean their engine bay can do more harm than good if they don't recognize what should be covered.

A clean engine bay is more pleasant to work in, but whether getting past that unpleasantness is worth the effort of cleaning, comes back to vanity. More important is why it is excessively dirty if there are leaks, and yet at a certain point, leaks are harder to find if it isn't clean.

Most of all, Scotty is about generating content. He's a machine and is going to put content out there, even after senile enough that he's just waving hands in the air and declaring he's been a mechanic for a thousand years.

Even so, you are wasting your time cleaning general gunk in an engine bay that has no faults. Anything that needs sealed has a seal. Exterior grime is not going to cause those seals to fail, rather time (material degradation), heat cycling, pressure, etc.
Vanity.

That's what you've decided to go with?

Any machine that is clean is easier to work on as you touched on, but it's also easier to inspect. Dirt and grime trap moisture. Moisture corrodes. Organic material blocks drains and water gets into the cabin and/or fuse boxes.

Do you clean your door jambs? Around the trunk?

Guess it's all vanity - why clean anything at all?

Never can bring myself to justify the time to wash the engine bay… if a coolant or oil line burst or it gets caked in mud that’s one thing, but just run of the mill daily driving mine have never gotten crazy dirty.

I've never watched the guy. Twice a year I spray my engine bay with a strong degreaser, let it soak and rinse it at high pressure. If there's any stubborn bits they get sprayed again, aggitated and rinsed. I dry the engine the best I can with an air line. All metal bits and connections get a little squirt with Bilt Hamber Ferrosol (like ACF50 but on steriods) and any plastics, rubbers and hoses get sprayed with Autoglym Vynil & Rubber Dressing and wiped down.

Back