SCHAEFFERS SUPREME 7000 5W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
My company has been a Schaeffers dealer for some time, primarily for use in our company trucks though. I have been running the 5w20 in my two fairly new Hondas for over a year now with no trouble. They are both the 2.4 four cylinder. Has anyone else used this oil for any time and with what results? It is supposed to be good stuff, but many people do not even know it exists, and you cant exactly go buy it anywhere.

It's good stuff from what I read here, but there are better oils for the money in a lot of our opinions... If the price was cheaper it would be unbeatable, but I guess that's the cost of being a smaller outfit.
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Well I get the stuff for roughly what it cost our company which is around $4/qt. Does that still seem overpriced for what it is?

That's a very good price!
20.gif
Makes me jealous even, kinda price!
LOL.gif

I would use it with confidence at that price and you will see very long life from your engine.
thumbsup2.gif

(extremely great value!)

Last edited:
Schaeffer primarily markets to the industrial sector (heavy equipment etc). They are the oldest lub company in existence. They produced lubs made of whale blubber for wagon wheels long before petro came along.

Schaeffer greases are arguably unmatched.

Schaeffer gear oils (ATFs etc) are top shelf.

Conerning their motor oil - if someone can provide a bad Schaeffer UOA on BITOG, plse provide it. I've seen an excellent UOA from their 7000 series at 14k miles (and it's a grp II+/PAO blend). I've watched/studied Schaeffer for a couple of years now - I see Schaeffer matching up with M1 and PP in every respect (and with Amsoil except in extreme OCIs).

I also have anecdotal evidence that Schaeffer is at the top of the food chain in motor oils. Too much to write now, I'll try to look up that post I made on this - it's been a while.

(Also, on the VOA - don't fret too much on the starting TBN - 8+ - Schaeffer has shown excellent TBN retention - TBN retention requires more than just a high starting value).

Finally, on expense - if you have a Schaeffer dealer near you (thus avoid shipping) - then yes, the price is in the $4+ dollar range.

That was easy - I found it - I made the post below in July 2007 -

----------------------------------------------------------

There's a Schaeffers vs. Amsoil thread going, but this is slightly off that topic, so I'll make a new thread -

While at my moms in Okla. City this last wkend I visited with a family friend - he has a large hay farm in S.W. Missouri, he owns his own plane, he has rebuilt engines, he's built custom houses for himself and his kids - very high talent man. So anyway, the topic strangely turns to oil - his face lights up as he tells me his Schaeffers story (btw, his name is Bob) -

Bob's son is the lube guy for a construction co. with construction sites throughout Kansas. His son does the lube work at every site - from large cranes to light equip. The company was using M1 products across the board. A Schaeffers rep comes along and shows a test (apparently on an application the constr. co. was already using) -
Schaeffers VERY significantly dropped the temp in a bearing compared to M1. The company started using Schaeffers on a limited basis at certain sites. Equipment operators began to report back positive results from the switch to Schaeffers - the company then switch all equipment at all sites to Schaeffers.

Bob hears all this from his son and starts running Sch. 50wt racing oil in his plane. His plane has gauges for the turbo temp and an independent guage for all six cylinders. Bob said he saw an immediate drop in temp averaging about 40deg (I forgot to ask what oil he was running before Sch.) He also said his six cylinders would run at widely varying temps (1200 to 1500 deg) - with Sch. they all pegged on exactly the same temp - he was quite plsed. Another knowlegable pilot flew with him and was surprised to see the turbo running at such a low temp. So Bob now has Schaeffers in everything - trucks, farm equip., etc.
He said Sch. grease was significantly outlasting his previous grease. He said Sch. grease had a stickiness to it but was still very slick.

Bob was extremely impressed with Schaeffers - and it was all on objective real data (not "it sounds better", "feels better", etc).

Last pt - a Schaeffer rep told Bob that within three OCIs he would see "no wear" in his vehicles. Sounds like the rep. perhaps drank a little kool-aide there, but perhaps Sch. if known for very low wear levels. I am presently ignorant in all things Schaeffers, but plan to push the learning curve before my next OCI.

BTW - I used Schaeffers in my Sienna (and had an excellent UOA) - but the Sienna had consumption issues (non-oil related) at the time, so I discontinued (hated to see good oil waisted). Meanwhile, now that I'm moving to a w30 in my Mazda, Schaeffer is presently at the top of my list for my next 1 yr fill.

http://www.astm.org/Standards/D4739.htm

Quote:
5.2 As stated in 1.2, this test method uses a weaker acid to titrate the base than Test Method D 2896, and the titration solvents are also different. Test Method D 2896 uses a stronger acid and a more polar solvent system than Test Method D 4739. As a result, Test Method D 2896 will titrate salts of weak acids (soaps), basic salts of polyacidic bases, and weak alkaline salts of some metals. They do not protect the oil from acidic components due to the degradation of the oil. This test method may produce a falsely exaggerated base number. Test Method D 4739 will probably not titrate these weak bases but, if so, will titrate them to a lesser degree of completion. It measures only the basic components of the additive package that neutralizes acids. On the other hand, if the additive package contains weak basic components that do not play a role in neutralizing the acidic components of the degrading oil, then the Test Method D 4739 result may be falsely understated.

The VOA only shows a .2 difference from schaeffers TBN spec on the PDS 7.5 vs 7.3. Schaeffers uses 2896.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was exited to find a store that sold Schaeffer's in my area. I bought several items and asked about oil. I declined due to the $200 minimum. The only weight they had in stock was 10W30 which didn't fill the bill for me. So, if I wanted any other oil it was $200 worth or forget it! I would expect that from a wholesaler but not a retailer. This is a small lawn care equipment place so perhaps they must place a minimum order also.

RTexasF - you might go to the Schaeffer web site - clik on Dealer locator - and chk if there's a larger dealer or dist. ctr in your area, or somewhere you might be travelling thru soon. The dist. ctr here is big enough that I can order anything I want, and even if they have to mail order it, I pay zero for shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back