Schaeffers MS-6395?

Was hoping to run Schaeffer’s 5w-20 in my 2021 Ram (5.7) and wanted to stick to oils meeting the FCA standard MS-6395. I see on Schaeffer’s site that it meets the MS-6395Q standard but I can’t find anywhere what that is and if it’s the same as MS-6395. My dealer didn’t even know what the Q meant. They just told me Schaeffer’s was great oil and to “send it” basically. They told me to just stay away from royal purple but anyways I digress.

Can anyone tell me what the Q is and if Schaeffer’s does indeed meet the FCA MS-6395 standard? I did try asking Schaeffer’s directly but my question went unanswered.

Thanks guys

There is a difference in meeting vs approved. Some oil makers will list exceeds instead of meets or meeting.
In theory, a warranty can be denied for not using the approved oil.

What your dealer tells you means nothing. If you need a cam and lifters under warranty, the claim has to be approved by Chrysler.
If the claims rep is under pressure to make his/her warranty expenses go down, the oil you used would be an easy way out to deny it.

Specifications are not approvals. For this type of specification “meets” is a proper designation.

Kind of unfortunate but that’s the way it is.

There is a difference in meeting vs approved. Some oil makers will list exceeds instead of meets or meeting.
In theory, a warranty can be denied for not using the approved oil.

What your dealer tells you means nothing. If you need a cam and lifters under warranty, the claim has to be approved by Chrysler.
If the claims rep is under pressure to make his/her warranty expenses go down, the oil you used would be an easy way out to deny it.

Right, exactly why I’m asking. I just looked at the back of one of my Pennzoil Ultra jugs and it says “meets or exceeds” the MS standard but not approved. Thinking that’s just semantics but what do I know?

Just trying to make sure I don’t run afoul of the warranty. My manual doesn’t specify any iterations of the standard so I just want to see if anyone knew if I would be good to run Schaeffer’s with their MS-6395Q specification or stick with something that just has the MS-6395 spec.

Schaeffers is cheap out here and I liked the oil analysis I’ve seen on it but if it wouldn’t be accepted by FCA in case of a warranty claim I don’t think I’d be losing out too much by sticking with pennzoil ultra or a valvoline EP.

Right, exactly why I’m asking. I just looked at the back of one of my Pennzoil Ultra jugs and it says “meets or exceeds” the MS standard but not approved. Thinking that’s just semantics but what do I know?

Just trying to make sure I don’t run afoul of the warranty. My manual doesn’t specify any iterations of the standard so I just want to see if anyone knew if I would be good to run Schaeffer’s with their MS-6395Q specification or stick with something that just has the MS-6395 spec.

Schaeffers is cheap out here and I liked the oil analysis I’ve seen on it but if it wouldn’t be accepted by FCA in case of a warranty claim I don’t think I’d be losing out too much by sticking with pennzoil ultra or a valvoline EP.
Again it’s not an approval. That language is appropriate.

And there is no “just MS-6395”, it always has a release identifier even if it’s initial. They list it that way in the manual so as previous specification releases are superseded you don’t have a bunch of people going ballistic looking for something they won’t find.

Again it’s not an approval. That language is appropriate.

And there is no “just MS-6395”, it always has a release identifier even if it’s initial. They list it that way in the manual so as previous specification releases are superseded you don’t have a bunch of people going ballistic looking for something they won’t find.
So all lesser included iterations are accepted and therefore I’m good to go to run the Schaeffer’s? Correct?

So all lesser included iterations are accepted and therefore I’m good to go to run the Schaeffer’s? Correct?
Later revisions to a specification are always acceptable unless the specifier explicitly states otherwise. Chrysler isn’t even staying a revision level from what you posted.

And you’re going to have to make the decision on the second part.

MS-6395 is not a difficult standard to meet. In fact, pretty much any current API certified oil easily fits into the MS-6395 certification.

BUT, and it's a big but, in the event of an issue with the engine, and the 5.7 has exhibited issues with cam/lifters in the past, I personally don't want to give them any reason to deny warranty coverage.

Schaeffer's 9000 5w20 is API certified, and lists MS-6395. They also list Dexos1 Gen2 on the bottle and literature, but that oil doesn't have an actual D1G2 license. Has Schaeffer's gone through the formal requirements for MS-6395? That's something to find out from Schaeffer's.

In my opinion MS-6395 is a goofy certification that pretty much means nothing. Chrysler could have just said in the manual "Run an API certified oil in the correct grade and your good". There is no website or publication available from Chrysler that tells you which oils meet MS-6395. There is no license number that is granted.

Personally, I'm running Quaker State Full Synthetic right now, had Shell Rotella Gas Truck in there for the first 18K KM. I will probably stick to QSFS 5w20 until warranty is up, but have no issues in running any of the SOPUS products, Castrol Edge or Valvoline Full Synthetic.

PZ is used by FCA dealers and is on the shelf next to Mopar oil at my dealer.

Back