Schaeffer's 229 Grease Question

Does the 229 grease with synthesized moly perform on par and about equal to most better quality 3% molybdenum grease for pins and bushings? Moly grease with less mess does appeal to me, providing it does the job. Will be using it on farm tractors and tractor front loaders.

Does the 229 grease with synthesized moly perform on par and about equal to most better quality 3% molybdenum grease for pins and bushings? Moly grease with less mess does appeal to me, providing it does the job. Will be using it on farm tractors and tractor front loaders.

You say less mess - I assume you don't care about the color of the grease and just want a product that says in the pins better. Compared to a lithium complex grease with 3% moly any of the general purpose greases from Schaeffer will stay in the pins better and reduce your grease consumption. The 229 grease is very tacky and is not recommended for use in wheel bearings or electric motors. If don't mind having multiple greases in stock using an "extra tacky" grease like 229 or 238 in the front end loaders would work very well.

If you are looking for one grease to use on everything on the farm I think the 219 is a better choice.

Last edited:
I use 219 almost everywhere between farm equipment, construction equipment, dump trucks and OTR trucks. Even trailer wheel bearings. The only place I don’t use it is on the track loader just because I bought a few hundred tubes of the Rotella moly stuff at Orschelins when they closed it out. I’ll probably buy something like the 238 when I run out of the Rotella.

You say less mess - I assume you don't care about the color of the grease and just want a product that says in the pins better. Compared to a lithium complex grease with 3% moly any of the general purpose greases from Schaeffer will stay in the pins better and reduce your grease consumption. The 229 grease is very tacky and is not recommended for use in wheel bearings or electric motors. If don't mind having multiple greases in stock using an "extra tacky" grease like 229 or 238 in the front end loaders would work very well.

If you are looking for one grease to use on everything on the farm I think the 219 is a better choice.
I run two different grease types, one for bearings and general greasing and another for mostly the tractors and front loaders. I have been using the regular TRC 880 which is a Calcium 12-Hydroxy grease for the tractors. It is the best non-moly grease I have had the opportunity to use, but always looking for improvement.

880 C&C is an excellent product and has worked very well on our farm and excavation equipment. You should be able to use that in nearly everything on your farm, unless a higher dropping point is needed. It will be very tough to improve on the performance of 880 in your application.

Back