Schaeffer Vs Mobil 1 on Timken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I want to bet!
Why would you say the test are invalid? yesterday you said it was the lab tests, today it's field test driving the car. You're right driving a car for an extended period of time is best but then you have many variables. There is no one perfect test, but Timken gives you a clear indication of the quality of their oil additives. So given a choice....would you rather put an oil that failed the Timken test in your car or one that WON?

Why would you believe that grease put on the Timken is valid?

By the way ask to see the Schaeffer Component Life video they do engine tear downs, you'll be amazed.

It's great talking to you
Will

By the way Not all gear oil does well on the timken, and you will damage your engine if you but put gear oil in your engine, but were not talking about gear oil were talking about engine oil, an oil that has all the right lab test certifications, API etc.

So given a choice what would you put in your car one that failed the Timken test or one that passed??

Originally Posted By: willdog
Timken gives you a clear indication of the quality of their oil additives.

The results are not repeatable and are easily skewed. Thus, you can't trust the results. Why is this so hard to understand?

So given a choice....would you rather put an oil that failed the Timken test in your car or one that WON?

There's no such thing as failing the Timken test. Winning is meaningless because the results are easily skewed.

He didn't say grease on a Timken was "valid." He said it would show good results, even though it would perform poorly in an engine.

By the way ask to see the Schaeffer Component Life video they do engine tear downs, you'll be amazed.

THAT is a decent test. Hard to control, but 100% relevant.

Yes I want to bet!
Why would you say the test are invalid? yesterday you said it was the lab tests, today it's field test driving the car. You're right driving a car for an extended period of time is best but then you have many variables. There is no one perfect test, but Timken gives you a clear indication of the quality of their oil additives. So given a choice....would you rather put an oil that failed the Timken test in your car or one that WON?

It's great talking to you
Will

This is gettin' good. Keep it comin' fellas!
36.gif
35.gif
28.gif
24.gif

Cold pumpability,Volatility,Seal compatability could be determined by looking at the Tech Data Sheet or MSDS, and or the certification that they have, Leaving you with Only the shear test, for concern and that's where oil A has the advantage because it has Moly which bonds to the metal and protects your engine during start up and shock loading and then you have Penetro which reduces friction. Oil B does not have these additives.
So now let me get this straight oil A does well on the Timken oil B fails, all other things being equal what then do you choose? If not A then why not put any oil in your car?

Timken test results are not repeatable. Do you know what that means?

Timken tests are easily skewed one way or another. Do you know what that means?

All else being equal, yes, I would put Oil A in my car. But that brings us back to the fact that the Timken test is neither necessary (do you know what that means?) nor sufficient (do you know what that means?) to tell whether one oil is better than another.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Timken test results are not repeatable. Do you know what that means?

Timken tests are easily skewed one way or another. Do you know what that means?

All else being equal, yes, I would put Oil A in my car. But that brings us back to the fact that the Timken test is neither necessary (do you know what that means?) nor sufficient (do you know what that means?) to tell whether one oil is better than another.

Based on what you're saying, reading between the lines, the Timken test is a hack for testing oils?
27.gif

Regarding grease on the timken most greases would not do well on the machine.
The results are repeatable and are done every day where did you get that info
Regarding easley skewed if you did the test and A did better than B would you then be a believe?

So why would you A in your car BECAUSE it was BETTER and the only thing that distinguished the two was the Timken test making it relevant. Do you know what that means??

Is Schaeffer's a good oil, yes it is. Is Schaeffer's the best oil, no it's not. That is just the plain and simple truth. Schaeffer's really does not need anyone to hawk their products for them as they have proven their quality and hawking only turns folks away from a product, not towards it. We have an excellent Schaeffer's sales rep already on here and he does an excellent job of representing the product line.

And just for your information my family has used a particular brand of oil since the 40's that fails that stupid timken test and we have never lost or worn out an engine early. Most of our cars and trucks have gone well over 250K each and were running just fine when we sold/traded them.

Let Schaeffer's good quality reputation stand on its own without that stupid timken test machine. If you really think it needs that machine then you really know nothing about the quality family that built and owns Schaeffer's.

OK, its 3am..I'll "dive in"..One of my vehicles (Olds) has had Mobil 1 in it for about 130k of its 131k miles. No smoke under any conditions, no engine knock, bearing noise etc. She will still run down the highway at 80mph with plenty of pedal left if you want her too. In my experience, Mobil 1 has proven to be a good oil for me in that application. I understand that Schaffers is an excellent product as well, and would most likely have provided similar positive results. I also know that of all things, "Preparation H" does well in the Timken bearing test, but I wouldnt use it in my engine, hence I would not qualify an oil reccomendation on the outcome of such a test utilizing motor oils.

Originally Posted By: Summerwind
OK, its 3am..I'll "dive in"..One of my vehicles (Olds) has had Mobil 1 in it for about 130k of its 131k miles. No smoke under any conditions, no engine knock, bearing noise etc. She will still run down the highway at 80mph with plenty of pedal left if you want her too. In my experience, Mobil 1 has proven to be a good oil for me in that application. I understand that Schaffers is an excellent product as well, and would most likely have provided similar positive results. I also know that of all things, "Preparation H" does well in the Timken bearing test, but I wouldnt use it in my engine, hence I would not qualify an oil reccomendation on the outcome of such a test utilizing motor oils.

My rep uses an egg beater which is more closely related to actual engine conditions. So what,I would still take Schaeffer over M1 any day. Anyone who would try to uphold EOM advertizing/marketing as squeeky clean has their head in the sand.

I'm not a fan of XOM by any stretch of the imagination. I will say this, their advertising is about the best there is in terms of oil company advertisements. They don't flame or bash the competition, as advertising goes it is more truthful than most. Althought that doesn't say much, LOL.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Originally Posted By: Summerwind

My rep uses an egg beater which is more closely related to actual engine conditions. So what,I would still take Schaeffer over M1 any day. Anyone who would try to uphold EOM advertizing/marketing as squeeky clean has their head in the sand.

XM is not squeeky clean as the marketing goes, it's just better than anyone else. I appreaciate their ads not bashing other companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back