Saw a Yaris Sedan on the road today, it was kewl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You better duck - all the "The Geo was the best small car ever" folks will be here to bash yet another potential Japanese hit
lol.gif

Scott

I drove it in Europe. Very nice car (with the stick shift - I am not so sure with Automatic). If you live in a big city (NYC, LA) this is the car for you. You can park it underneath a Hummer and get a free metered parking.

I was planning on purchasing the hatchback but couldn't wait after my Corolla got totaled.

From what I read ... they're not getting the real world mpg that the ECHO did.

I saw an ad around here (can't remember which dealer, though) for 12K and some high change. I bet you could get it for that in your area, too. I would at least consider a Chevy Cobalt. Real world gas mileage for me has always been better than EPA and the Ecotec engine seems to be a good one.

Wow, you get better than EPA mileage?? That's pretty rare.

I only get +1mpg from EPA city rating when I on the highway with cruise and no A/C!

This is what I didn't like about it when I drove it.
The car is a little underpowered, and the suspension could have been done a little better to make the car more stable at highway speeds. It does ahve a good seating position, and good view of the road. A great city car! For highway use, I'd rather spend a few more $ and get the Corolla. The Corolla gets slightly better Hwy mileage anyway.
For looks, the car gets a B+. A pretty decent looking compact car for sure. I like the styling especially with the aero kit that is available.

Good job Toyota. Now just give it some better handling and you've got a winner.

At $13-14k for a yaris, a corolla had better not be more $...

Youre saying that a yaris is $13k, and a similarly equipped corolla is how much more in reality??? Is it a good deal in any way when you can get a base camry/accord for $16k or so?

I saw a yaris hatch... looked pretty good, but Id prefer a diesel honda fit for multiple reasons.

If people would only realize that economy cars are just that... economy crs... there is no place for power windows and doorlocks in a decent econo car... and ESPECIALLY no place for ground/aero effects and spoilers. ugh, I hate that... I saw a red yaris with all that junk on it, trying to look 'performance oriented'... I nearly threw up.

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by drewjp:
Wow, you get better than EPA mileage?? That's pretty rare.

I only get +1mpg from EPA city rating when I on the highway with cruise and no A/C!

My gas mileage with the 2200 OHV Cavalier is 31 mpg combined. The EPA highway mileage for this car is 33. Best mileage I got was 39 and worst was 29. Check out www.j-body.org. Ecotec owners are reporting 40+ mpg w/manual transmission, but it varies with your driving habits.

quote:

Originally posted by gudmund:
the Yaris(2100-2300lbs) is not that lite. It's heavier than any Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift(1600-1950lbs)(my first Metro-88-was only 1560lbs)

The Yugos were 1800 - 2000 lbs, according to Wikipedia. That's not much lighter. Besides, I don't think you realize how consistently windy the Mackinac straight can be. The bridge is even built with steel grating over the suspension span to allow the wind to flow through the bridge instead of causing excessive sway. The wind profile of the side rails is also kept low for the same reason. It's also very high above the water and kind of a scary bridge to drive across.

Nice looking car on exterior (I saw one today also). However, that darn center-dash-mounted gauge cluster would deter me from buying one...

I have been across the Mackinac Bridge many, many times for more then 40 years, I am sure it can be windy at times, I would not worry about driving a Yaris across that bridge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back