Saw a $15,000+ markup on a new Honda Civic Si

If it's the only one they have they want it on the lot to sell from. Would you put money on a car without driving one? OP didn't say if there were 30 marked up like that. Maybe they can't flat out say a car is not for sale.

Last I heard here all Subarus are sold in transit and they won't let someone else test drive a sold car.
AZ you got it they must keep it so people can drive it and order of incoming inventory

Simply put: "A fool and his money are soon parted." Only a fool would pay that egregious amount for that car. If I were in the market for that vehicle and saw that price after a good laugh, I'd walk out and shop somewhere else. In my book that car would become a classic, remaining in the dealer's inventory until rust and corrosion reclaim it. I'm sure I'm not the only person on this board who thinks that way either. Having said that when I sold cars back in the day we had a saying. "There's an ass for every seat," there might be one for that car too. ;)

It was a gray 2022 4dr Civic Si. I think MSRP is about $27K, which seems pretty reasonable. Then I looked at the additional markups including wheel locks and maybe one other thing, but they also wanted over $15K markup for it. I remember seeing Type Rs where the dealer was asking for $10K and would probably get less with a negotiation.

I haven't really been on the market for a new car, but my kid is a Honda fan and couldn't resist looking at the dealership when we were in the neighborhood. But is this really happening with the car shortage? Or is it because of this particular car. I still can't figure out what would justify more than a 50% premium on the price.
What justifies it, there will be some fool come along who will buy it anyway.

Dealers are able to get by with huge markups on hard to find cars. Look at the C8 new Corvettes which bring top dollar. Hard pass for me however there are people out there with the big bucks that are willing to pay the price. The only problem is trying to sell it to someone else if you ever get tired of the vehicle or need the money for something else. Plus, banks will not borrow money for anything that is severely overpriced unless you have a large down payment. A fool and his money are soon to part.

Times are crazy. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sell it. 🤷‍♂️

Dad test drove a 2022 6.2 Tahoe yesterday. Loaded and even had trailer brakes. They wanted the same price as new.

The Civic Type R was considerably different than the Si with a 2.0T and over 300 HP. The previous version only came in the hatchback, and all Civic hatchbacks were made in Honda's now closed factory in England. Supposedly the highest performance production FWD car ever. They were easy to spot with a hood scoop, 20 inch wheels, a massive spoiler, no moonroof, Brembo brakes, etc. I'd actually seen quite a few in dealers where it was supposed to attract customers. However, most were locked and some were even roped off. The only time I was even allowed to sit in one was where it was used and they had no test drives.

t7J2XQK_oL2.epEwFTgCi.jpeg
Yes, that's it. The one I saw was blue. Pretty cool vehicle, 300 hp from a 2.0 4 cylinder is impressive!

There will always be extreme examples of over MSRP. I notice our local trash Kia dealership is fully stocked with all Vehicles that are marked $4k -$10k over MSRP. They just sell slowly.

Other ones in state take your order for near or at MsRP and you wait.

The Civic Type R was considerably different than the Si with a 2.0T and over 300 HP. The previous version only came in the hatchback, and all Civic hatchbacks were made in Honda's now closed factory in England. Supposedly the highest performance production FWD car ever. They were easy to spot with a hood scoop, 20 inch wheels, a massive spoiler, no moonroof, Brembo brakes, etc. I'd actually seen quite a few in dealers where it was supposed to attract customers. However, most were locked and some were even roped off. The only time I was even allowed to sit in one was where it was used and they had no test drives.

t7J2XQK_oL2.epEwFTgCi.jpeg
Own one. Got it under sticker right as covid started and without any bs installed accessories. Drive it daily from April - First snow in Nov/Dec. Will never sell it. Incredible car. I'm a Honda/Acura guy, knew what I was getting in to and bought it without a test drive.

NY roads are not great and I did put 18's on it with 265 width Michelins, 20's are in storage. I still struggle to get traction until the top of 3rd with the pedal matted but the lateral grip this thing has can and will make the uninitiated come close to losing their lunch. Brakes are just as vicious and wonderful.

Markups are BS, wait it out.

Here in Texas I was looking at Corollas a couple of months back, a Corolla L to be exact (the most basic trim level of the Corolla), they wanted 10K over MSRP (even though they had quoted me MSRP). Pure slimy greed. I will just keep driving the Camry until 2025.

Here in Texas I was looking at Corollas a couple of months back, a Corolla L to be exact (the most basic trim level of the Corolla), they wanted 10K over MSRP (even though they had quoted me MSRP). Pure slimy greed. I will just keep driving the Camry until 2025.
Some folks play the dealership by offering to let the dealer do the financing in exchange for better pricing, then after the deal do an early payoff/refi elsewhere at a much lower interest rate.

Some folks play the dealership by offering to let the dealer do the financing in exchange for better pricing, then after the deal do an early payoff/refi elsewhere at a much lower interest rate.

When I bought my WRX, there was a promotion with Subaru. Either I could get special financing or $750 cash back (which technically was a discount). The finance manager recommended taking the $750 cash back (which was in addition to my negotiated price through a website) and just take his financing package (turned out to be with US Bank. He said it was a win-win if I intended on paying it off early. The special financing required "dealer participation" meaning zero commission to the dealer. And I actually had cash in the bank and ended up paying it off in 7 months. But he said that would make him a commission that wasn't tied to

My previous car was purchased with a special financing deal, and the finance manager there did note that he also made no commission but didn't seem quite as cranky. But there was no other option like the cash back. He said my best option was to take it since it was better than any other financing he could give me.

they dont want to sell it immediately.. but if they do hey 15k.
Would be a logical plan except for the damage it’ll do to customer relations.

Personally, they could mark it up 100 grand for all I care. I’ll simply go somewhere else.

If the dealer can get that for it, more power to them.

Caveat emptor

But some people are lazy, ignorant, or gullible enough that they might walk into a dealership and just accept whatever the price is.

I believe car salesman call that “making a big boy” or “knocking their head off”, or, “catching a guy asleep”.

Tell them to go stuff it. Call Honda North America. They'll get in major trouble, as they aren't supposed to sell over msrp.
Completely false. Independent dealers can mark up a car as much as they want. The car manufacturers can only ask them not to, but they are free to do it.

Back