Saw a $15,000+ markup on a new Honda Civic Si

It was a gray 2022 4dr Civic Si. I think MSRP is about $27K, which seems pretty reasonable. Then I looked at the additional markups including wheel locks and maybe one other thing, but they also wanted over $15K markup for it. I remember seeing Type Rs where the dealer was asking for $10K and would probably get less with a negotiation.

I haven't really been on the market for a new car, but my kid is a Honda fan and couldn't resist looking at the dealership when we were in the neighborhood. But is this really happening with the car shortage? Or is it because of this particular car. I still can't figure out what would justify more than a 50% premium on the price.

they dont want to sell it immediately.. but if they do hey 15k.

Since when has a Civic Si been a halo car that one would want in the showroom to attract customers who are really more inclined to buy another model? I get that with the Civic Type R.

I did hear about the first Civic Type R that one Honda dealer offered to sell at MSRP by taking a deposit before they realized they could charge a huge markup for it. They withheld the delivery and the prospective buyer complained about it. I think they finally said they'd sell it at the agreed price, but said they just wanted it in the showroom for a few months.

Tell them to go stuff it. Call Honda North America. They'll get in major trouble, as they aren't supposed to sell over msrp.

Really? I've seen plenty of markups on stickers. Even $2000 over asking on rather common cars. But I've seen those and paid well under MSRP. I know with the Civic Type R, $10-12K over MSRP was a common sticker markup even if they might have sold it for maybe $5-7K over MSRP.

Reactions: hrv
If it's the only one they have they want it on the lot to sell from. Would you put money on a car without driving one? OP didn't say if there were 30 marked up like that. Maybe they can't flat out say a car is not for sale.

Last I heard here all Subarus are sold in transit and they won't let someone else test drive a sold car.

Really? I've seen plenty of markups on stickers. Even $2000 over asking on rather common cars. But I've seen those and paid well under MSRP. I know with the Civic Type R, $10-12K over MSRP was a common sticker markup even if they might have sold it for maybe $5-7K over MSRP.
I sold for VW North America for a while. When I was at the 2017 Denver Auto Show I spoke with several Directors for VW NA. According to them, they can reprimand or show up at dealerships with a big "Don't do that again " Or face fines or worse. I mentioned that a co-worker of mine sold a Golf R32 (One of the vehicles on my bucket list) for 7,000 over sticker. They flipped out and made several phone calls on the spot.

I saw a similar markup on a Civic pre-pandemic. I think it was a special R Version of the Si or whatever they call it with all of the carbon fiber aero bits. I asked the sales person why the markup and they said it was due to limited production and they only get 1 per dealer or something, plus probably a lot of greed.

I saw a similar markup on a Civic pre-pandemic. I think it was a special R Version of the Si or whatever they call it with all of the carbon fiber aero bits. I asked the sales person why the markup and they said it was due to limited production and they only get 1 per dealer or something, plus probably a lot of greed.

The Civic Type R was considerably different than the Si with a 2.0T and over 300 HP. The previous version only came in the hatchback, and all Civic hatchbacks were made in Honda's now closed factory in England. Supposedly the highest performance production FWD car ever. They were easy to spot with a hood scoop, 20 inch wheels, a massive spoiler, no moonroof, Brembo brakes, etc. I'd actually seen quite a few in dealers where it was supposed to attract customers. However, most were locked and some were even roped off. The only time I was even allowed to sit in one was where it was used and they had no test drives.

t7J2XQK_oL2.epEwFTgCi.jpeg

You are in SF where a young software guy can make $200k or more without much fuss. i would not be surprised if someone just got a big bonus came in and bought it.

Dealers are pretty savvy folks and they know the market.

the new si is slower than a hyundai kona 1.6t fwd. i paid 33375 canadian dollars for my 2021 mazda 3 sedan gt turbo awd. everything included. that's 25995 usd dollars brand new everything included ready for delivery. i saved over 8000 dollars by negociating with many different mazda dealers. but hey, there is always a fish that will bite with more money than brain. if you pay 15k over for a brand new si i want to laugh in your face. like right in your face.

Back