Sand Bags For Traction - I Am All Set For Winter

We have had a very mild winter so far and traction has not been an issue. Now winter seems to be settling in and we are expecting cold temps (0 F) and snow and I have to do something about traction.

My Sierra is 2WD with a 8 foot bed, the worst possible combination for traction. I loaded up seven bags, 60 lbs each, for a total of 420 lbs. It improves traction considerably.

Many folks are going to note that the weight should be over the axle and not behind it. That is true if I was travelling at speed. My travels are ina congested city at low speeds and I am not concerned about the rear sliding out. I want greatest traction and that is with the weight as far back as possible.

I keep these sandbags in the shed in my backyard during the off season. The ropes help in handling.

You can see my street is steeply sloped. Without the bags, my truck will not back up on the street and parking becomes a problem. Neighbours are all spoilt with FWD or AWD and they think nothing of backing up to within a foot of my front bumper while I am parked.

Tires are fairly new Blizzaks, stock size 245/70/17.
Sand Bags for Traction.JPG
ing the bags

Last edited:
I use water softener salt bags. Weight for the truck, something grippy in case I get stuck, salt for the driveway, and what doesn’t get used in the driveway ends up in the softener. 700lbs here.
967FA7D3-471B-4260-BCD1-4D0D0D5450BD.jpeg

Excellent snow tires and some added weight in the bed is as good as you can do.

I did it for years with sand bags and all seasons.

I carry seven bags in my truck year round. It does help. Luckily, I never had to open one up. I have to change them out every six years because the sun destroys the bags.

Most critical thing is make sure bags cannot move. I found in a slide with dads 89 Toyota 4x4 pickup with bags at rear would not only pendulum at any speed but knock it hard as they slammed the rear bed.

We ended making a wuick wood frame over axle to keep sandbags in place.

NO WAY should you need 400+ pounds and placement should be just forward of the rear axle.

Yes some weight can help, but 80-120pounds is all you should need. I put two sacks of sand in the Tacoma and it's perfect.

NO WAY should you need 400+ pounds and placement should be just forward of the rear axle.

Yes some weight can help, but 80-120pounds is all you should need. I put two sacks of sand in the Tacoma and it's perfect.
Taco is lighter up front, no? Full sized truck likely needs more. 400lb of load isn't that much, not if that truck had a 1,500lb payload (albeit centered on the axle, or just in front of).

Taco is lighter up front, no? Full sized truck likely needs more. 400lb of load isn't that much, not if that truck had a 1,500lb payload (albeit centered on the axle, or just in front of).
No only is the Tacoma lighter but Pablo probably has a 4 x 4.. Totally different animal.

Guy at work carries sand bags in his Ram 3500 dually - why ? So the springs actually flex hitting bumps … 😳

I don't know.
I think the best thing to do is to put the truck on scales, and add enough weight to the bed so that you have a 50/50 weight distribution.
If you wanted to be fancy, you can even position it for perfect cross weight, too.

Then, if you get stuck in the snow, with perfect vehicle weight, and Blizzak snow tires, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Back