Sam's Club Tire Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the Saturn to Sam's Club today for a routine tire rotation and balance. Since the tires were purchased there, it was free. Perhaps the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies to this situation.

First, I noticed that the front and rear tire pressures were listed as 35F/35R on my work order. I asked the technician why those pressures were listed for my vehicle, as the recommended pressures for my Saturn are 30F/26R. He informed me that 35F/35R was the "average" pressure of most vehicle requirements and those were the pressures that they usually filled all tires to.
crazy2.gif
I politely asked him to fill my tires to the OEM recommended tire pressures and I was given a "those pressures sounded kinda low" line from him. I showed him the owner's manual and informed him that Michelin endorses OEM tire pressure recommendations (I have Michelin Hydroedge) and only then did he change the work order.

Second, they informed me that I needed new lug nuts. Apparently you can no longer thread them on by hand or easily removed them. They were probably slightly stripped. The tires have probably been removed from this car no more than 20 times. Of those 20 times, probably 15 of those times were by Sam's Club. Lug nuts should last longer than that, so I can only suspect that Sam's Club is likely to be a major contributor to my lug nuts being damaged.

Third, Sam's Club's policy (as clearly posted on the wall) is to tighten all lug nuts in a star pattern using a torque stick, torque them with a torque wrench, then have a different technician double-check. At this shop, they used torque sticks (which were dropped in front of me, so their accuracy is questionable) only. When he started to reinstall the wheel covers without installing the lug nuts, I asked him why he did not check the lug nuts with a torque wrench. He said that the torque sticks were good enough and that he could check them if I desired. I requested that he please do so.

Fourth, I caught him torquing the lug nuts without following the star pattern. When he finished, I noticed that he did not bother to turn the torque wrench down to the lowest setting, so the accuracy of that torque wrench is probably questionable.

Installing tires correctly is not a difficult task. I understand that Sam's Club does not pay the best wages, but they do train their employees. How hard is it for you to follow your company's policy? What has our society become? Why can't some people show some pride in their work?

My tire shop, Discount Tire, does a good job but I trust my torque wrench more then theirs so I always loosen then retorque my wheels after I get home from a rebalance/rotation.

just bought a new clicker torque wrench today and swapped one of my rears with the spare. was great applying the right torque! I even got a calibration certificate with the wrench.

A lot of the shops don't even use torque sticks on their impact guns, so they tighten them with an impact to varying torques ranging from probably 150-300 ft/lbs and then check them with a torque wrench which has never been moved from the 100 ft/lb setting which of course only confirms that they are at least at 100 ft/lbs.

People then wonder why their rotors are warped, their wheel studs break and their lugnuts are stripped. I cringe everytime I take my car to a shop for something I can't do myself like tires or state inspection.

I have also seen shops use impacts to remove/replace wheel covers that have the plastic nuts that screw onto the actual lugnuts. Amazing.

I bet he assumed you were "cool" and mechanically inept, not an undercover reporter for BITOG.
cheers3.gif

Report it up the chain. Talking about it on here does nothing. That guy could not care less.
If their software is anything like WM TLE, you need a second separate person to sign off on the 'Quality check.' It will not let one person sign off on both positions. So you have this piece of work and someone else who does not care about his credentials. They should have this all on camera, at least for a little while, so I would revisit this promptly. When you talk to the manager, make sure you stress you are worried about your safety and the possiblity of studs breaking or lug nuts coming undone and losing a wheel. A actual 'wheel off' claim is serious and could result in anyone remotely involved, all the way up the chain, being fired.

I remove plastic covers with an impact all the time. It saves time. Never broken any. Impact gun triggers are variable and with light pressure will not break anything. I will agree most people go 'WOT' and break something.
I dont install them with it though. There is enough time while the customer is paying to install them by hand.

The Critic said:
I took the Saturn to Sam's Club today for a routine tire rotation and balance. Since the tires were purchased there, it was free. Perhaps the old adage "you get what you pay for" applies to this situation.

Second, they informed me that I needed new lug nuts. Apparently you can no longer thread them on by hand or easily removed them. They were probably slightly stripped. The tires have probably been removed from this car no more than 20 times. Of those 20 times, probably 15 of those times were by Sam's Club. Lug nuts should last longer than that, so I can only suspect that Sam's Club is likely to be a major contributor to my lug nuts being damaged.

Did you get new lug nuts? If so did they charge you for them? I once went to Discount Tire for free new valve stems and they had trouble removing my wheel locks for some reason. I have never had a problem with the wheel locks and they had never had before. So they provided me with 4 new wheels locks and the key for them for free.

Oh yes. Push for them to buy you new lug nuts. No guarantees, but if you have the receipts for the 15 or so times you used them, that would only help. Heck, they should be able to look it up on their computer system if you used the same location each time.

This is why I never go anywhere but one particular discount tire. It is their policy to use very light torque sticks and do a final tighten with a clicker torque wrench, and they adjust it to whatever the computer tells them for a particular vehicle.

When they aren't busy, they tighten with the torque wrench, pull your car out and drive it around the parking lot, then check the lugs again right in front of you.

They can't get the tire pressure good though - they do 35 for every vehicle as well, but the first thing I do is let the tires/vehicle cool off an reset the pressures to what I like.

I would just buy a nice floor jack and a socket adapter for a screw gun and DIY. Forget torque wrench, just get a feel for the correct torque and then do all the lugs the same....YES, by hand.

I recently went to Sam's to have the tires on my work van rotated. When I originally purchased the tires at Sam's, I was told they do free rotations but no sooner than 7500 miles. I waited a bit longer than I should have but the van had just under 10000 miles. As soon as the tire service manager saw the mileage since rotation, he immediately voided my tire mileage warranty, stating something along the lines of my not having performed routine maintenance by having them rotated every 5000 miles. I pointed out that I was told they wouldn't rotate at less than 7500 mile intervals and he,of course, said that there was no way I would have been told that.

He specifically mentioned that 5000 mile tire rotation was called for in the fine print on the back of the receipt. When I actually stood there and read it, there was absolutely no mention of mileage, just that there couldn't be a large diparity between tread depth front to rear. The manager then changed his story to include the tread depth difference being how they could tell if you rotated the tires yourself.

Luckily, they had already printed out the work order showing only a 1/32" difference front to back which was well within spec.

He still wouldn't remove the "warranty voided" from the system but I still plan on making the claim if the tires don't make it. I think I have enough proof with the fine print contract and the receipt showing negligible difference in wear.

By the way, the tires are Michelin Hydroedges with an 80k warranty. I am happy with the tires but there is no way they will make 80k. They were already worn 2-3/32" at 10k.

When I had my Nissan Maxima I went to Sams to get new tires. They did it quick and they have a free road hazard program.

About 7 months later I went in to get two tires replaced. I hit a curb with one and it was missing a chunk and the other on had a little crack in the side wall. These were both rear tires.
I thought it was going to be hard enough to get Sams to replace the rear tires, but . . .
Both front tires where chewed up due to me doing burn outs in empty parking lots.

Service guy came out and told me he would replace all the tires for free!! Then he came back and said they do not have my same tire in stock (cheap goodyear) so they upgraded me at no charge to a $40 more per tire Goodyear.

I was happy INDEED. But I know it could have went both ways. The guy could have said get outta here kid.

At 8$ an hour, would YOU honestly care?

Actually, when I got to Wal-Mart to get my tires done, I get the only female in the shop to do it. She's proven me time and time again that she knows her stuff, and that she wants to prove it!

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

Yes, and I did when I was making below that as well. It is sad that we expect & make excuses for low quality work.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

You cannot pay a person to care. Either they care or they don't.

Torque sticks twist to reduce the torque strength of the torque wrench. Lug nuts can still be overtightened with a torque stick. Be sure you see the nut turn to tighten before the torque wrench clicks at the correct torque setting.

We aren't overhauling jet engines here. A calibrated torque wrench isn't needed.

Because the threads on lugs are dry (and need to be dry, 'cuz we don't have torque specs for lubed threads) the threads sometimes gall. New lug nuts aren't a surprise, but don't pay much for them.

The guy that voided your tire warranty screwed you. You're done. You'll never get that undone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back