New tires "thumping" noise

Got 4 new Bridgestone Ecopia tires today. They make a loud thumping sound, especially on turns. I am wondering if they are not seated correctly, or maybe there is a flat spot on one of the tires. I don't think it is balancing, since it happens at slow and fast speeds. I double checked the torque of the lug nuts, which is fine. There were no noises before the new tires were put on. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Do the tires stop the thumping after driving for 15 minutes or so? Some tire flat spot after setting for some time. If this is not the case, then you may have defective tires or improper installation so Back to the installer.

My guess would be a broken belt inside at least one of the tires. Had this happen on some Firestones after 40k miles. They were making thumping noises similar to what you described. As mentioned I'd go back to where you bought them from.

My guess would be a broken belt inside at least one of the tires. Had this happen on some Firestones after 40k miles. They were making thumping noises similar to what you described. As mentioned I'd go back to where you bought them from.
Thanks. Is it obvious when a belt is broken when inspecting the tire?

Got 4 new Bridgestone Ecopia tires today. They make a loud thumping sound, especially on turns. I am wondering if they are not seated correctly, or maybe there is a flat spot on one of the tires. I don't think it is balancing, since it happens at slow and fast speeds. I double checked the torque of the lug nuts, which is fine. There were no noises before the new tires were put on. Any ideas?
Make sure you haven't picked up a lag bolt already. Have the tires checked for runout. Sounds like a bad tire which needs to be identified. Balancing won't cause a thumping noise. Balance issues won't show up at low speeds.

Do the brakes now pulsate? Tire stores that don’t use torque sticks and or practice proper wheel lug tightening techniques can warp brake rotors. Take it back to them now. Either way it’s not right.

I had a set of these and they wore horribly. I got about 19,000 miles out of the set and was very glad to see them go.

Can you tell if the thumping is coming from the front or the rear? Do you feel it in the seat or through the steering wheel?

If so, try rotating the tires front to rear. If the thumping moves, it's the tires. If not, it's something else. I'm betting on something else.

Did you inspect the tire for any thing stuck in the tread?
I had new Michelins on my Volvo and went thru a parking lot where they had just put down crack sealer with no signage and I an over it. A four inch patch of wet sealer was packed in each of the 4 tires. It felt like all four were thumping and out of round. What a mess cleaning it out of the treads Gasoline and a small screwdriver was the only thing that worked to remove it.

Just take it back and have them go for a ride with you.... My guess a bad belt in one of the tires...Dont wait to go back..

Thanks. Is it obvious when a belt is broken when inspecting the tire?
No, it took a few visits to the shop for them to come up with that conclusion. They did a test drive, inspected the rest of the car and a careful inspection of the tires.

Back