Sam's Club Fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know Sam's Club does not have a Top Tier rating on their gasoline like Costco but does anyone on this board know anything about it? Is it just another cheapo gasoline with the bare minimum of additive to meet federal specs or is there something that makes it a bit better? I always use Exxon as it is Top Tier but I see the price difference is enough to be tempting!

More than likely, it is just EPA-minimum detergent gas. I inquired to them about that once, and that was their answer. They do guarantee it, though.
I have no problem using it if the price is right! If you're concerned maybe just throw some Techron in once a year or so.

Don't know about additive levels - but I do know it's fresh! There's almost always a que...

I have been using it almost exclusively for over 5 years. Never have had any problems with it. Ours does not have any ethanol showing present on the pump.

Does KY require stations to indicate if there may be ethanol in the fuel ? Some states do, maybe KY doesn't. I'd be very surprised if their fuel doesn't include some ethanol.

Let's not confuse price vs cost!
The price may be less but the cost will be higher!
As TmanP said the additives are less, therefore more likely to have deposits on valves, valve-seats, piston heads etc. If you only keep the car for a couple of years that won't matter, but will matter and cost you more than what you've saved if you need to decarbonize the motor & its parts.

Originally Posted by Pelican
Let's not confuse price vs cost!
The price may be less but the cost will be higher!
As TmanP said the additives are less, therefore more likely to have deposits on valves, valve-seats, piston heads etc. If you only keep the car for a couple of years that won't matter, but will matter and cost you more than what you've saved if you need to decarbonize the motor & its parts.

Is anyone these days without DFI paying to "decarbinize the motor and parts"? And in a DFI engine, the gasoline can't fix or prevent carbon on the valves.

I would avoid any car shop that offers a "decarbonization" service

I've run it nearly exclusively since ~1990. No issues. Last cars I sold had 400K miles between them.

We have been using it quite a bit lately, as the location we frequent has been among the cheapest in the area.
All our cars run fine on it.

Originally Posted by Boomer
I know Sam's Club does not have a Top Tier rating on their gasoline like Costco but does anyone on this board know anything about it? Is it just another cheapo gasoline with the bare minimum of additive to meet federal specs or is there something that makes it a bit better? I always use Exxon as it is Top Tier but I see the price difference is enough to be tempting!

We are at 252,500 miles and short of fill-ups at other stations while traveling, have used SAM's club 85 octane (Denver area) exclusively in our 2004 RX330. As TmanP suggested, I do throw in a bottle of Techron every 50-60,000 miles or so. While YMMV, our experience has been very positive.

I'd pay for the Top Tier unless it's an occasional thing. The fuel comes from the same refinery. The difference is the tanker truck stops and gets a quick charge of a few gallons of detergent before it crosses the refinery gate.

Ford makes a big deal about using high detergent gas in their manual. They don't use the term "TopTier" so I take that to mean that it's based on an honest opinion rather than Ford taking a bribe. They also recommend against additives. Besides, it's not like Techron is free.

I use it from time to time. The price around here is usually around $0.20 per gallon cheaper. The closest station is 12ish miles away. If I'm by there I'll stop and fill up.

My only issue with Walmart or Sams gas is that locally I can get Shell gas from a high volume store just around the corner and bundle Shell Rewards with Gas Buddy and actually come out cheaper than both Walmart and Sams.

Walmart, Sams, Exxon and Costco do not accept Gas Buddy cards.
31.gif
09.gif

Originally Posted by SSerian

Walmart, Sams, Exxon and Costco do not accept Gas Buddy cards.
31.gif
09.gif

Costco gas station won't accept either of my two Mastercard Credit Cards Their business (both at the pumps and at the Costco retail warehouse cash registers), would double, if they did accept Mastercard.

I get more cash back from Mastercard credit cards, than Visa anyways. I annually check Visa online because I'd gladly give up one of my (2) Mastercards for a Visa. Just checked again a few weeks ago.
To repliers.... I'm not interested in a 3rd credit card. No thanks. I pay cash at the register at Costco. Small purchases - never more than $150. I have a free card to use at the register, thanks to my adult daughter's account there that added my wife's name.
No biggie if I buy gas elsewhere. I hate waiting in long gas lines anyways.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jimbrewer
I'd pay for the Top Tier unless it's an occasional thing. The fuel comes from the same refinery. The difference is the tanker truck stops and gets a quick charge of a few gallons of detergent before it crosses the refinery gate.

Ford makes a big deal about using high detergent gas in their manual. They don't use the term "TopTier" so I take that to mean that it's based on an honest opinion rather than Ford taking a bribe. They also recommend against additives. Besides, it's not like Techron is free.

Ford isn't one of the automakers that formed the Top Tier alliance. It was GM, Honda, Daimler, and Toyota.

However, they've since entered the group.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=USA
We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance. For additional information, refer to www.toptiergas.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back