Same oil, different bottle (Magnatec)

I was in Dollar General today and I was a couple dollars short of using a "5 off 25" coupon. I remembered seeing Magnatec on the shelf a few months ago, so I got a quart. I consider this quart to have cost me 95 cents as it was listed at 5.95.

I just wonder why it's in a different bottle than I usually see. They're both SN+ and were made 30 days apart from one another. The one on the left was from DG and the one on the right from Walmart. Did they come from different Castrol facilities? Did Castrol supply it in a cheaper bottle just for DG? That bottle seems cheaper, as it doesn't have the sight line on the side. Seems like the DG bottle is an older design, though the oil is newer.

Just a strange observation.
20201010_203309.jpg

The one on the right is a Edge bottle. The one on the left is the usual Magnatec bottle.

interesting find.

When I go on Walmart's website it shows the bottle on the right. I wonder if Castrol just recently updated the bottles, since Walmart always carries the newest freshest stock.

They just changed the quart bottle design for the entire line of oils i see at WMart to the one on the right... Ultraclean to EDGE EP.

They changed the bottles awhile ago the bottle on the left is old stock everywhere I see Castrol now it’s in the right bottle for all the kinds no just the Magnatec.

The bottle on the left has a date code 30 days after the bottle on the right, making it newer. I've seen the Edge-esque bottle at Walmart since the end of last year. That's what made me wonder if DG has some sort of deal with Castrol using older bottles for a lower cost or ordering from a different facility than Walmart.

I bought some 10W30 GTX Magnatec a few months ago and it says Full Synthetic on the jug.
Someone said the old bottles of 10W30 didn't say full syn!

Maybe they have added one drop of "synthetic" stuff to the new bottles! :unsure:

I'm still wondering exactly what (if any) difference there is between Magnatec and Edge. Since that last thread about Castrol saying Edge has the Magnatec goodies in it, them both being a "full synthetic",and both looking almost identical via analyses.

Having run these oils in semi-syn and syn form and edge, I will say the Edge has the edge :) Looking at my driving notes:
EDGE has better cold / warm-up fluidity; seems to release the horses a bit easier; Feels a bit too viscous - just a bit.
I liked the semi -syn Mag, the syn seemed a bit less. A velvety oil, a quieting oil but worse cold performance and less ultimate performance.

Then Valvoline came out with Advanced synthetic with a whole new DP - and blew these out of the water.

p.s: I have both bottle styles of Magnatec, purchased likely over a year ago; No worries there.

Back