Salt in Distilled water?

I had a couple of gallon jugs of distilled water which froze and cracked in the garage. There's a clearly a white chalky line were water ran across my floor. Is this salt or is it possibly some efflorescence pulled out of the concrete by the water? Thinking I might be better off using rain water or Lake Michigan public works water after allowing it to offgas the chlorine for a day or two in my yellow Ford OAT concentrate. Thoughts?

If it's straight up distilled water it should have nothing but water and the very minute amount of contaminates that weren't distilled out or were picked up later in processing, unless you gotwater sold for baby formula that says it's distilled on the bottle but they add certain minerals back to it. But any reasonable clean purified/distilled drinking water will be fine for a cooling system it doesn't have to be laboratory sterile to put in your cooling system.

i use only distilled in my radiators + batteries, as well as a table top humidifier + its spotless after many gallons, BUT since its from wallys who knows!! remember reading in a book by michael colgan a trainer at the time our olympicians ONLY get distilled + are TESTED for EVERY nutrient $$$$ which they get as needed

Reactions: hrv
That chalky white line is probably from the distilled water dissolving minerals that were on the floor and then carrying them to the edge of the puddle where the water evapoated and left the dissolved minerals. The chalky lines probably means nothing in regards with you using the water in a cooling system. If you want to know if there are minerals in the distilled water then you need to evaporate a sample of it on a CLEAN glass dish and look for signs of deposits.

Distilled water is "thirsty" for things to dissolve in it. It's going to pull things out of the concrete if it can.

Despite its benefits, distilled water is particularly corrosive. With no minerals to give the water pH balance, distilled water acts like a magnet, absorbing chemicals (phthalates and bisphenols) from plastics, nickel from stainless steel, aluminum from aluminum containers, and carbon dioxide from the air.

If it's straight up distilled water it should have nothing but water and the very minute amount of contaminates that weren't distilled out or were picked up later in processing, unless you gotwater sold for baby formula that says it's distilled on the bottle but they add certain minerals back to it. But any reasonable clean purified/distilled drinking water will be fine for a cooling system it doesn't have to be laboratory sterile to put in your cooling system.
My Cpap had problems with distilled water due to deposits and had to go in for repairs. Found out this is fairly common.
I use vapor distilled such as Smart Water now.

My Cpap had problems with distilled water due to deposits and had to go in for repairs. Found out this is fairly common.
I use vapor distilled such as Smart Water now.
My CPAP has only ever used distilled water. After a full year it has no deposits.

Distilled water should not leave deposits. Were you using some sort of demineralized water? Don't think that's quite the same thing.

Distilled water is "thirsty" for things to dissolve in it. It's going to pull things out of the concrete if it can.

Despite its benefits, distilled water is particularly corrosive. With no minerals to give the water pH balance, distilled water acts like a magnet, absorbing chemicals (phthalates and bisphenols) from plastics, nickel from stainless steel, aluminum from aluminum containers, and carbon dioxide from the air.
The pH of distilled water is 7, but yes it can pull CO2 from the air and go lower in pH. I checked a jug of distilled water that was partially used but still sealed. It was 6.5. Adding coolant will take the pH to 8+ so no worries,

Last edited:
My CPAP has only ever used distilled water. After a full year it has no deposits.

Distilled water should not leave deposits. Were you using some sort of demineralized water? Don't think that's quite the same thing.
Mine was over a year old when it broke. I was using distilled from Smith's up to that time. Another user had his do the same. He recommended vapor distilled.

Useful- source of this info?

Back