Safety First?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 02SE
And if you pull the trigger when you don't want the gun to fire, you are guilty of negligently discharging a firearm. So again, this is negligence pure and simple. As has been pointed out numerous times, Gun Handling 101 is don't pull the trigger, unless you want the gun to fire.

I agree ... always have. My point is that a real trigger safety would have prevented this negligent discharge, so to some degree the type of firearm also played a role here - but it's no excuse. If it would have been a different gun with a real safety the out come would have been different. That's all I'm saying, and for some reason people can't grasp that and only fall back on "the guy screwed up" ... yeah, he did as I've agreed to many times.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Anyway, this has become a waste of time. This is why I don't get involved in long-winded discussions online anymore, I have better things to do with my time.
smile.gif

I hear ya 02SE ... it's starting to go in circles now. I think I've made my point, so hopefully some will see it and not be "Glock blind" so to say.
grin2.gif
If people want to carry guns without a real safety that's their choice, but if they ever do have a negligent discharge because of the trigger design I hope they can accept any ramifications.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I agree, and the part in red is exactly why a real trigger safety was invented.

"Real trigger safeties" are not infallible either, and can very easily be accidentally disengaged, and have to be engaged in the first place. What if it was a 1911 style .45, cocked and accidentally unlocked? THat would go off with likely less trigger pressure.

There's a reason law enforcement agencies have pushed keeping the finger off the trigger until one is ready to fire. Increasing trigger pressure has only helped to a point. No finger on the trigger means no firing, period.

There are many DAO type pistols out there, and it's a fairly simple and safe system. No one ever has to remember (or forget) to follow the extra step of engaging or disengaging a safety. If you want to fire, you pull the trigger. If you don't want to fire, keep your fingers off the trigger.

In the end, it's not a hardware failure or a design failure. There is a pile of stupidity in this situation, but it wasn't on the part of Glock designers.

Why is he carrying while he's drinking?

Originally Posted By: Garak
New FBI policy perhaps should require agents, in the absence of single action six shooters, to wear mittens when they want to engage in drunken antics while armed.
wink.gif

Naw, new policy will probably disallow doing any back flips while carrying a gun.

It's a pretty athletic move, I don't think I've seen anyone do one in person since high school and that guy was pretty athletic. The only move I see close to that would be a cart wheel, also a tricky move to pull off.

Charged with assault.
http://www.wmur.com/article/fbi-agent-ch...-floor/21335428

Quote:
An off-duty FBI agent who investigators say accidentally fired a weapon that fell while he was dancing at a Denver bar, wounding another patron in the leg, was charged Tuesday with second-degree assault.

Chase Bishop, 29, turned himself in to the Denver Sheriff’s Department earlier in the day and is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.

Police have said Bishop was dancing at the downtown bar on June 2 when the gun fell from his waistband holster onto the floor. The firearm went off when he picked it up, and another customer suffered a serious but non-life-threatening gunshot wound to the lower leg.

The victim was treated and released from a hospital.

Additional charges could be filed based on the results of a blood-alcohol content test, which has not yet been received, authorities said.

“We are filing this charge now rather than waiting until the BAC report is received, which we understand could take another week, because sufficient evidence has been presented to file it,” Denver District Attorney Beth McCann said.

The FBI declined comment Tuesday “in order to preserve the integrity of the ongoing investigation,” spokeswoman Amy Sanders said.

“The FBI will continue to fully cooperate with the Denver Police Department and the Denver District Attorney’s Office as this matter proceeds through the judicial process,” she said.

Booking documents do not indicate if Bishop has hired an attorney.

That seems reasonable... curious how the trial plays out. What arguments are made both by prosecution and by defense.

Court proceedings.

Prosecutor: "Defendant was an idiot"
Defense: "Agreed"
Jury: "Guilty"

Originally Posted By: Astro14
That seems reasonable... curious how the trial plays out. What arguments are made both by prosecution and by defense.

CO Rev Stat § 18-3-203 (2016)

(1) A person commits the crime of assault in the second degree if:
(d) He recklessly causes serious bodily injury to another person by means of a deadly weapon; or

a) that video is inadmissible

b) anything I said is inadmissible

c) the witnesses were drinking, taking drugs, not even paying attention, have their own criminal records, are bad people, etc., and are not credible

d) I didn't cause that injury

e) the injury was not serious even if you can prove I did it

f) I wasn't reckless - I had to retrieve the gun before someone else got it. Speed was more important than perfection

g) it's glock's fault - they should make a gun with a real safety

h) it's the FBI's fault - they should have given me a real gun

i) it's the FBI's fault - I was improperly trained

He might as well plead guilty and get it over with since the video pretty much captures the indecent and shows complete negligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back