SAE viscosity vs actual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the data sheets of oils I noticed that one 5w30 might actually be closer to a 10w30 or, a 50w actually having a lower viscosity at 40c than another 20w50. Is the viscosity curve not a straight line hot to cold?

First of all, this thread was started in the wrong Forum (White Papers and Technical Discussion) and you made at least two dupe posts.

The White Papers and Technical Discussion Forum and Question of the Day Forum are Monitored and Moderated which means responses go into a queue awaiting approval and responses may or may not show up in those forums depending on the relation to the subject content.

This procedure was announced early last year as I recall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule
First of all, this thread was started in the wrong Forum (White Papers and Technical Discussion) and you made at least two dupe posts.

The White Papers and Technical Discussion Forum and Question of the Day Forum are Monitored and Moderated which means responses go into a queue awaiting approval and responses may or may not show up in those forums depending on the relation to the subject content.

Ok, I was trying to find the best section for the topic. What do you mean by dupe posts?

Originally Posted by MolaKule

Thanks yeah I recall the announcement, I guess I was trying to post prior to OP's first post being approved. Mystery solved thanks.

/hijack

so, it seems manufactures use of the SAE ratings are pretty loose, with the KV100 viscosity being the most important and the KV40 not really mattering much. For example, (lucas not being well regarded in the first place) Lucas 50w syn actually has a lower viscosity at both KV40, and KV100 than the 20w50 Valvoline syn I use now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by jkhawaii

...What do you mean by dupe posts?

The reference was to JLTD's sending Duplicate posts into the queue.

It is not necessary to do that. As I stated above, any posts sent into those two forums go into a holding queue for examination.

Originally Posted by jkhawaii
so, it seems manufactures use of the SAE ratings are pretty loose, with the KV100 viscosity being the most important and the KV40 not really mattering much. For example, (lucas not being well regarded in the first place) Lucas 50w syn actually has a lower viscosity at both KV40, and KV100 than the 20w50 Valvoline syn I use now.

Not loose, it's just that the SAE oils have a range of allowed viscosity with upper and lower bounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back