SAE Grade 4 (F/M4) - 2 Stroke Oil

Ski-Doo has this requirement for 2S oil use in their Etec motors and I can't for the life of me find what the actual spec defines. I'm assuming pour point at a certain temperature (low) but haven't been able to find anything definitive. Any ideas on the grade and how it is to be interpreted?

I tried to find info on it but it's difficult. But it isn't difficult to extrapolate the reason given the conditions. It's basically a really good full synthetic 2 stroke and not the syn blend stuff or cheap conventional you find at Walmart which is what i use in everything. I use that since i only use chainsaws and weed whackers when it's over 60f. but that would never work in the snow and the oil injection system which is likely the reason why. If it's cold that thickened conventional won't work well with it unless it's thinned more but if it is then it won't protect as well as it should. So a stout full synthetic is what they really want.

Etec outboard vs snowmobile oil the difference should just be the low temp pour points. Sleds need a -40F pour point.
That's probably the only difference in BRP oils since they market sled and outboard oils.

What does the owner's manual say exactly?

Amsoil Interceptor
IMG_2902.jpeg

JASO FD is as good as it gets for cleanliness but it seems like more embraced by the OPE makers - and the oils that have official JASO FD approval are mostly for OPE(Echo RedArmor, VP 2 Stroke). Snowmobiles and OPE are different but similar - 2T engines rev high with sub-optimal cooling and the wrong oil can kill your motor, at the least you’ll have more carbon build-up on the Reed valves and exhaust.

I’d use Amsoil Interceptor or Red Line 2T Snowmobile. Both meet JASO FC/FD for the latter. Motul is also JASO FD.

Last edited:
Back