Rust Prevention in Stored Firearms

Use G-96 for final cleaning of the barrel and the outside metal. Store in a good safe with a heater and some dessicant which you keep changed over time. I have had guns stored that way for years and nary a bit of rust!

Thanks for the replies fellas. What would you recommend for sweaty, rainy, high humidity environments that wont see an oily cloth for weeks at a time?

I keep my guns in a gun safe in a walk in closet. They've been stored in this manner for the past 11 years and all I ever do is put a thin coat of gun or 3 in 1 oil on them after cleaning and before storing them. The only time I've had any rust issues and it was very minor was when my water heater which is in the same closet sprung a leak that I didn't know about. I do check them from time to time but don't usually have to do anything to them except clean and re-apply oil after I've taken one out and used it.

I use synthetic 5w20 applied liberally with an old sock. Reapplied after each use or annually if not fired as all my guns get oiled at the close of firearms deer season.

Before that I used 3 in 1 oil. Switched to full synthetic motor oil as that was recommended to my dad by an instructor at one of his armorers courses.

Back