Rust paint that works? Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just looking to stop rust from spreading on the body panels and don't care about aesthetics. I've tried several zinc based rust paints over the years from Canadian Tire but they never seem to work long term. I always try to prep the surface by grinding away the rust then paint over it with the rust paint.

Any thoughts? Are there some better products out there to look for?

You need to attack the rust from beneath/behind the surface first and then on top. But the saying still applies that, "Rust Never Sleeps"! And the best way is to stop rust before it even starts(KROWN, RUST CHECK, FLUID FILM). Otherwise, you're in the same boat as the rest of us.

I'm not sure if there is a good paint that sticks well, not without primer. Are you priming first, then painting?

If you're not worried about looks, just grind, paint, then spray oil on it. It will need touch-ups from time to time.

You need to fix the rust properly and then get the car rustproofed annually at Krown or Rust Check annually to keep it away.
"Spray over the rust" nonsense never works long term.

Here is a good in depth video on how to fix rust properly and how to paint it and keep it away for both really badly rusted areas and if you just need minor work.

https://youtu.be/itHzjYN_L3M

Do not use rubberized undercoating that stuff just accelerates rust by trapping moisture over time.

Last edited:
The problem with grinding away the rust is that it still leaves rust in the pits that just ends up coming back. That's why sandblasting is so effective for rust removal.

Your problem is that the rust in the pits just starts up again underneath the paint you apply. You need to treat the affected area with acid to convert the rust and then paint. Your paint will stick better and the rust will not come back. I use Ospho which is a phosphoric acid product designed specifically for painting, but you can find other phosphoric acid products. Kleen Strip Prep & Etch seems to be a more economical choice in the US, but I could get Ospho locally.

I repainted a set of rusty fenders and used sandblasting and Ospho to remove the rust. It's been about two and a half years now and the rust has not returned. I also wire wheeled some control arms and sprayed them with Ospho around the same time and they have held up better than if I had skipped the acid etch.

If you kill the rust, you don't need fancy primers or POR-15. Just like painting anything, good prep dictates the quality and durability of the job.

I personally have had good luck on rusted surfaces coating with a heavy coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer. NOT just regular rustoleum, but only the rusty metal primer.

Have you looked into rustoleum rust to primer? I have never used it on a car, but it has worked great for things like outdoor metal chairs and things with surface rust.

how timely, OP, thanks for the thread,

I used rust oleum rust spray paint to paint my metal railing for the outside stairs and they doing great.

I am not an expert so I would welcome others to citric the following:

1. Rust Oleum Anti rust primer,

2. Rust oleum automotive enamel

prep, sand out all the rust apply primer, sand again, primer > sand > paint > sand > paint > seal with clear

I tried just a coat of some paint on a dime size rust spot and it lasted only 1 season till the rust came through again.

I've had pretty good luck with SEM Rust-Shield on underbody panels, suspension components and frames for my vehicles. It can be applied directly to the metal and doesn't have to be spotlessly prepped first. I live on the coast of Maine with salt air and heavily salted winter roads, so battling rust is a never ending game. As others have mentioned, Fluid Film does a pretty good job preventing problems, but I just can't stand working on my vehicles coated with 'sheep dip' especially after it picks up all of the dirt and grit from the road. Wiping all of that off the parts before I can start tackling the work really bugs me. I tend to use Fluid Film sparingly on specific components that I don't have to work on often.

Thanks for the replies. These are for exterior body panels so fluid film or any oil is not an option. I've had good luck with POR 15 for underchassis components and like how well it works and how easy it was to work with. It's expensive however, I only need to do small sections.

X2 on POR15, top coat with an enamel paint and will work great. Did wife's snow tire rims last fall and they survived the winter with no rust.

RustChek 'Rust Converter' - it goes on clear, and 'reacts' with the oxidizing metal to stop the process. Dries black, and then you just paint over it.

Great thread!! I have to get at some rust on my Tb. No point in paying more than the vehicle is worth for a shop to get it factory clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back