Rust on brake rotors, when is it a problem (picture)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oldmaninsc

Originally Posted by 7055
Is there any way the rotors could be repaired to save some cash? I was thinking maybe some duct tape or something

I do hope you are joking about the duct tape!

Is it not good to use on brake components? It seems to work well on other suspension and body components

Originally Posted by spasm3
demarpaint said:
All kidding aside, i never skimp with brakes, If anything is even slightly suspect, it gets replaced.

All kidding aside, I skimp on anything I think I can get away with.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4801957/Searchpage/1/Main/240614/Words/%2Bcoke+%2Bcan/Search/true/re-coke-can-for-brake-disks#Post4801957

I've had some flak for it in this context.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=110241

I'm not sure, however, that those meet that criterion. They look pretty bad, but the fluff may be concealing sound metal.

If they were mine, I'd grind into the cooling void with something like a bit of steel wire rope in a drill chuck and then see what I'd got.

IF I decided to keep them I'd probably then treat the cooling space with sunflower oil and grind it with an aluminium rod (I use old arrow shafts or bit of old TV aerial or aluminium wire to give a protective coating.

I'd then do some emergency stop testing. Is the inward pressure generated at the pads significantly greater in a dynamic situation than in a static test?

I've never had ventilated disks and hadn't thought before about the additional fragility/vulnerability to corrosion. If you do replace them, it might be worth trying to find solid disks if available.

Originally Posted by Ducked
demarpaint said:
All kidding aside, i never skimp with brakes, If anything is even slightly suspect, it gets replaced.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4801957/Searchpage/1/Main/240614/Words/%2Bcoke+%2Bcan/Search/true/re-coke-can-for-brake-disks#Post4801957

I'm not sure, however, that those meet that criterion. They look pretty bad, but the fluff may be concealing sound metal.

If they were mine, I'd grind into the cooling void with something like a bit of steel wire rope in a drill chuck and then see what I'd got.

IF I decided to keep them I'd probably then treat the cooling space with sunflower oil and grind it with an aluminium rod (I use old arrow shafts or bit of old TV aerial or aluminium wire to give a protective coating.

I'd then do some emergency stop testing. Is the inward pressure generated at the pads significantly greater in a dynamic situation than in a static test?

I've never had ventilated disks and hadn't thought before about the additional fragility/vulnerability to corrosion. If you do replace them, it might be worth trying to find solid disks if available.
If it's good enough for Ducked, it's good enough for me!

Interesting thinking here. I'm going to stick with replacing them, if they were mine. For the cost of a casket, I can buy a lot of rotors, and enjoy another vacation.
wink.gif

FTR- I'll skimp on occasion too, but not with brakes or rotors, especially if they look that bad.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
For the cost of a casket, I can buy a lot of rotors, and enjoy another vacation.
wink.gif

LOL

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Interesting thinking here. I'm going to stick with replacing them, if they were mine. For the cost of a casket, I can buy a lot of rotors, and enjoy another vacation.
wink.gif

FTR- I'll skimp on occasion too, but not with brakes or rotors, especially if they look that bad.

Hadesyeah!!!

Cost of that you'd could buy me some super duper rotors and pads as well
lol.gif

Post of the day winner for sure.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by Ducked
demarpaint said:

If it's good enough for Ducked, it's good enough for me!

Didn't say they were. I said I couldn't tell from that picture.

If I cleaned them up and I STILL couldn't tell, then I'd change them, preferably for solid disks.

Thinking further about rust treating the cooling void, my standard sunflower oil binder might not work unless I could leave it to set, since it might spin out to the calipers and hence to contaminate the pads.

Superglue (which I've used on disk rims) probably would not do that but it probably wouldn't give good coverage in an inaccessible space either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldmaninsc

Is there any way the rotors could be repaired to save some cash? I was thinking maybe some duct tape or something

I do hope you are joking about the duct tape!

Is it not good to use on brake components? It seems to work well on other suspension and body components

Troll post?

You guys gotta lighten up and enjoy life a little bit

Automotive safety is a laughing matter? I guess the members calling this a troll post were definitely right!

I enjoy life, but not through trolling forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back