Brake Rotors - Most Rust Resistant?

Raybestos Element3 coated rotors are getting some rave reviews. Trav had recommended them to me. I just finished rear brakes and rotors and used them on a 2012 Forester driven on Long Island where rust is a fact of life. They are good quality and reasonably priced. Trav lives in the rust belt and had good results with them.
It's great to hear that others have had better luck than I have with these. Two years ago, I had all new rotors and pads installed. I researched and really wanted pads that would have better grip than Ceramics do in the cold but with less dust and possible noise that some folks get with semi-metalics. Researching the various offerings, I came up with the Element3 coated rotors and the same brand pads. The pads are some sort of hybrid that has some of the qualities of both ceramic and semi-metallics. My experience was mixed. The pads and rotors have performed remarkably with never a peep of noise and with great stopping power. The only surprise/caveat is that in the spring, after only one Ontario winter, the rotors are both almost without any coating left and rusted all over save for the contact areas for the pads. This really surprised me and has me wondering if I got a bad batch or if the heat is too much for the coating. I really am impressed with the E3 pads and will continue using these in the future, but when it comes to rotors, I'm going to seek out something with a different coating. Wondering if there are Zinc options or if this 'Geomet' coating is superior? I don't recall the E3 rotors mentioning specifically what the coating was. So, I'm kinda torn since the E3's really perform super in terms of function, but I really think I should get more than one winter out of them before the coating fries off and the rotors rust. Like I said, maybe mine were made on an 'off' day? Sigh....

Thanks for all the feedback. I may just try the Raybestos Element 3 rotors. They are well priced and if no rotor will get much more than 4 or 5 winters, why pay double the price?

Originally Posted by JTK

Thing is, It doesn't look like that was a success for you given the wear pattern from your pic. If those inside pads were floating as they should be and biting against the rotor surface flat and true, the rotor wouldn't look like that.

I used to do the yearly break-down, clean and lube too, but now with so many family vehicles I do basic maintenance on, I can't keep up with that.

These days I find it easier to just swap out pads and rotors if I'm going through all that work in my driveway or garage.

Our climate is hopeless for brakes.

The thing is I probably should do the brakes twice a year, I just don't have the time. They were moving well when the were serviced last year, but seized up pretty tight over the winter and were not longer moving freely. My road is loaded with sand and the highway I drive on is loaded with salt. It's a bad combination for keeping brakes moving. So yes, that probably exacerbated the problem.

However, according to this Raybestos video I found, moisture gets under the friction layer on the rotor surface and it delaminate the surface. That is exactly what is happening to my rotors. It's like the "shiney" brake surface flakes off and there is heavy rust underneath. I am sure the pads hanging up was part of the problem but look at this video and the rear rotors look pretty much like the one I posted. And they were only 3 winters versus my 4. I guess rusty brakes are just something I will have to live.
Welcome to my world of hyundai/kia brakes. I see brakes like in that clip regularly, and I live in an area that only sees mild salting.

Both rotors he show started to have problems because the brakes are sticking. They aren't frozen solid, but the pads don't released properly and excess pad material gets smeared on the discs. This looks like black spots at first. Don't take care of it in time and they end up like shown.

The grease used by Hyundai/kia for the caliper slide pins isn't up to the job, replacing it early with silicone grease solves the issue. This is an issue that developpes early but isn't apparent from new.

The pistons don't want to retract after a brake application either, this problem is often there from new. The brakes will often feel very grabby, like an on/off switch. Replacing calipers doesn't help, it needs lube under the piston boot. It also needs it on the other side, where the boot goes in the caliper as the boot will eventually develop rust jacking and completely seize the piston.

The pads are often too tight in the supports aswell, when brakes get hot the sticking gets worse, and they will quickly start to rust where the pads touch the shims.

I don't think they chose that car by accident to show the rotors...

It's great to hear that others have had better luck than I have with these. Two years ago, I had all new rotors and pads installed. I researched and really wanted pads that would have better grip than Ceramics do in the cold but with less dust and possible noise that some folks get with semi-metalics. Researching the various offerings, I came up with the Element3 coated rotors and the same brand pads. The pads are some sort of hybrid that has some of the qualities of both ceramic and semi-metallics. My experience was mixed. The pads and rotors have performed remarkably with never a peep of noise and with great stopping power. The only surprise/caveat is that in the spring, after only one Ontario winter, the rotors are both almost without any coating left and rusted all over save for the contact areas for the pads. This really surprised me and has me wondering if I got a bad batch or if the heat is too much for the coating. I really am impressed with the E3 pads and will continue using these in the future, but when it comes to rotors, I'm going to seek out something with a different coating. Wondering if there are Zinc options or if this 'Geomet' coating is superior? I don't recall the E3 rotors mentioning specifically what the coating was. So, I'm kinda torn since the E3's really perform super in terms of function, but I really think I should get more than one winter out of them before the coating fries off and the rotors rust. Like I said, maybe mine were made on an 'off' day? Sigh....
Mine are now going on their second NY winter. Granted last winter was mild, not much snow, and this one seems to be going the same. We still have the damp salt air at times though, depending on the day and the wind. Maybe you got a bad run? Did you try contacting them and letting them know? It might be worth a shot.

Raybestos Element3 coated rotors are getting some rave reviews. Trav had recommended them to me. I just finished rear brakes and rotors and used them on a 2012 Forester driven on Long Island where rust is a fact of life. They are good quality and reasonably priced. Trav lives in the rust belt and had good results with them.
Absolutely agree! I have been using these with great results. Also since Trav recommends it, that proves my point even better. RockAuto has them.

All rotors will rust eventually, coatings can only last so long but they deteriorate with road salt/chemicals and some wheel cleaning products.
I see it on cars with steel wheels and covers the rotors are great but on cars with alloys that get cleaned with aggressive cleaners this seems to happen with all coatings.
Wheel cleaners also remove grease off slides and leads to rusted calipers.

Back