Look at my rotors, all this rust normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I'm just asking because the innermost holes aren't even covered by the width of the pads.

I noticed that too. Seems like it might cause a bad failure.

Some rotors are just prone to rust. I don't know if their performance is better or worse depending on their corrosion resistance. One of my cars is that way. If you splash a few drops of water on the rotors while washing the car, they rust within 3 minutes. It's not a big deal except when the rust particles get on the pads and cause squealing

This is a vanity issue. Rust is normal. In the real world anything behind a hubcap will corrode. Rust on these parts will not hinder in any way the braking performance. An active drum/rotor will not rust enough on the mating surfaces to create any concern. A rotor/drum can start to rust in minutes or seconds with contact to the air we breathe. Its "normal". They are made out of castiron.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
I've seen rusty rotors on brand new VWs sitting on a dealer's lot. But my own (aftermarket) rotors never get rusty, even on the parts not swept by the pads. I don't know the reason.
Because you live in San Diego

Those Hawk Pads have a lot of steel in them dont they?Mayby causing a lot of cast iron dust that rusts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back