Rust on brake rotors, when is it a problem (picture)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Could you take a look at the picture and state if you think the rust alone (outside of any other hypothetical factors) is a problem necessitating replacement of rotors? If the minimum thickness of the rotors is within spec, is there any reason I would have to replace the rotors?

IMG-1605.JPG

I would change them, if the cooling fins are as bad as they look the rotor can collapse in on itself or crack, neither is a good thing.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Wow...those are in bad shape...I'd replace them. Are these on the Neon?

Thanks for your thoughts, they are not on the Neon. They are on a 2010 Taurus with 130k miles

Is it hard to replace the rotors compared to just the brake pads? Any tips? I have never done the rotors before but have done pads.

i see flaking. Did you put those rotors on or a previous owner. They could have been a really cheap grade of steel that rusts easily and will continue until they fail from rust.

You might look for replacements with a higher quality steel to reduce the rusting.

I just did a 2012 Civic with a cracked front rotor, the other side looked like this. I wouldn't want to stop in a hurry with those in spec or not.
49.gif

Originally Posted by 7055
Is it hard to replace the rotors compared to just the brake pads?

Pretty Easy.

Looks ok to me from that image, but maybe try to get a good look at the other side of the rotor to see how bad it is at the center, where the air goes in.

Last edited:
That looks pretty bad. The flaking rust is limiting the cooling, and degrading the integrity. remove the caliper, then remove the two large bolts holding on the bracket. They will likely be hard to remove. Use a long handled ratchet or breaker bar. I use a mini sledge to loosen the rotor by hitting the back side. Don't hit the dust shield.

Wait... it looks like there might bee a Phillips screw holding on the rotor. Use an impact screwdriver to remove or drill it out.

I think it looks a lot worse than it is because of the scale, I'll bet if you knocked it off it would look fine.
Par for the course on a rustbelt commuter car, that much heat cycling is going to create some nasty looking rust.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
I think it looks a lot worse than it is because of the scale, I'll bet if you knocked it off it would look fine.
Par for the course on a rustbelt commuter car, that much heat cycling is going to create some nasty looking rust.

I agree, but I would wire brush it and see what you have for sure. FWIW rotors are cheap enough to replace every time you do pads.

Normally I would say that a little rust, or even a lot of rust, not a problem, but those look so bad that even I would probably replace them, and I am as tight (frugal) as they come. Of course as some have said, if you knock off most of the loose stuff It may be easier to see the actual condition.

Originally Posted by 7055
Hi all,

Could you take a look at the picture and state if you think the rust alone (outside of any other hypothetical factors) is a problem necessitating replacement of rotors? If the minimum thickness of the rotors is within spec, is there any reason I would have to replace the rotors?

Yuck those are terrible
37.gif

Replace them with coated rotors like Centric Premium or Wagner E-coated
smile.gif

Those look bad but the are good enough to last till your next pad change.

I have had rotors separate and explode at the vanes on a high speed application due to severe rot. Luckily it was on the rear and didn't damage anything. The rotors were way past needing to be replace but would not come loose from the axle when I bought the truck. It to massive bashing with a sledge hammer to get them off.

Order new ones, but in the mean time, take a long, flat-bladed screwdriver and clean out the vanes by getting out as much rust as you can.

A long, thin metal wire brush & a blow gun will get a lot out too. My biggest fear is a big chunk breaking loose and the pad locking up the rotor at interstate speeds, during an emergency braking event. Really bad things WILL happen in a hurry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back