Russia's New Secret Fighter Jet

Astro, wasn't it the German scientist during WWII, the first ones to bring stealth technology to the table? :unsure:
If you’re referring to the Horton, it’s not clear that it was intended to be stealthy.

It was made from plywood, not because of radar absorption, but materials shortage. Recent testing by the Smithsonian showed no radar absorbent materials in the wing, as has been claimed by some.

It’s shape was for aerodynamic elegance, and range, not really radar reflection. Recent testing showed that it was a about 40% the RCS of a contemporary fighter, so, it was improved, but not really stealthy at all.

Cool airplane.

Not clear that the designer intended stealth, though that was speculated upon greatly after stealth was developed and people examined the airplane with the benefit of hindsight.

Honestly, many German leaders thought little of radar. It was low on the funding priority through most of the war.

Last edited:
Agreed Mola thats the only way you can do anything on the ground.

Space is a priority though.

As long as someone wants to shoot at or damage us in some way, I vote that the US maintain technological (weapons, stealth and air) superiority.
I prefer to be in a more defensive way, rather than offensive, and I also prefer a large punch in the teeth back, rather than a few smacks here and there. What I was getting at, is the usefulness of surgical strike aircraft is becoming less of a deterrent. The world is getting smaller.

I prefer to be in a more defensive way, rather than offensive, and I also prefer a large punch in the teeth back, rather than a few smacks here and there. What I was getting at, is the usefulness of surgical strike aircraft is becoming less of a deterrent. The world is getting smaller.

Not that it doesn't happen with current weapons, but when innocent civilians are killed it becomes a PR nightmare.

Oh, I don't know if I know the answer to that. I think it's across the Bay. In Alameda.

Really though - NAS Alameda was decommissioned during BRAC. It's pretty interesting what they've got now. A lot of it still seems to be unused. The airfield is barely used for anything and looks pretty bad now. The old hangars have been turned into various businesses including a gym and even Hangar 1 Vodka. And the old dock is now used by the USS Hornet Museum. Before it became a museum, I think there was a plot in the show JAG about a dead body found in the decommissioned ship while it was docked in Alameda.

EnoRjOtVkAEu5y0.jpg

I don't really think stealth means virtually undetectable. It's not going to be invisible and obviously they're going to generate tons of heat that's impossible to hide. I thought that the biggest thing is whether or not it can evade radar detection - especially that of radar guided missiles.

When a country with a smaller economy than the one of Italian, every month comes out with a new weapon, one might start thinking: bread and games for people.

33q-hPQCypKFJmTLWzH2xUzOEEdUDhAZ_HLCvhzK0l4.jpg

You meant this kind of stealth ?

There was no big secret to what happened. It was a lot of little things, but the big one was that they kept on using the same routes and the Serbs had information of where it was going to be and the lack of EW for that night. And they were able to finally track it when the bomb doors opened. But only one was shot down, although another was damaged. Not sure what they're claiming with a third one.

33q-hPQCypKFJmTLWzH2xUzOEEdUDhAZ_HLCvhzK0l4.jpg

You meant this kind of stealth ?

It was to them until our guys on the ground tried to tell the guys in the air how to do their jobs.
Astro has a superb write up on how we dropped the ball.

A group of 8th graders could have figured it out.

Weapons exports can mean a whole lot of money if there's the expertise to make them. Look at Sweden.
Not quite same. Sweden has very streamlined weapons industry. You don’t see every half year new RBS15 missile or JAS39. Just last month Russia introduced 4 new versions of anti aircraft systems, after introducing new versions last year. It is always followed with ridiculous propaganda campaign. One cannot count anymore how many MiG29/35 versions Russians have, derivatives of SU27 etc. Yet, all Central And Eastern European countries who flew thier planes and helicopters are citing lack of quality when doing service and logistics issues to move to other equipment. Even Serbia, that still opposes anything NATO, went Airbus helicopters as Russia cannot provide appropriate equipment/service for what they need. But, let’s resolve basic issues by introducing new secret stealth plane.

I am already ahead of the us and russia when it comes to air reconnaissance, and I only spent 20$.

159976171.jpg

As long as someone wants to shoot at or damage us in some way, I vote that the US maintain technological (weapons, stealth and air) superiority.

I am in the General Aviation world, and not at all involved with military stuff. I do work with the excellent technology we use in high end GA, and quite simply, much of it comes from international vendors. In my travels, I'm always amazed by what I see overseas. I'd like to think the F22 and F35 are the best the world has to offer.... But I don't doubt others have excellent aircraft.

Our G600's avionics suite is quite capable and is well configured for GA uses. However, it's not lost on me that it's software driven, and it's capable of doing anything it's software tells it to do. The components are top shelf, powerful and capable, everything is fly-by-wire and throttle-by-wire.

I live in Jupiter, FL on the West end of town. Directly over my home is the East edge of Gwinn's Class D airspace. Gwinn is where Stealth is tested, Pratt-Whitney rocket and Jet engines are tested, and Sikorsky Comanche (and other) helicopters are tested. From time to time I see neat stuff. I also fly my Mighty Cessna Cardinal right over Gwinn when I'm heading North.

Anyway, 4 years ago, I was driving my S2000 convertible at night with the top down, heading to the airport. On final approach to Gwinn was an acute wedge shaped stealth aircraft. I could see the outline, as the city lights illuminated the clouds above the plane. I estimate it had a 45-50 degree angled shape, very sharp. As it passed, I could see the tail was flat underneath, and up top there were 2 vertical fins, and a bunch of busy "stuff" (engine nozzles, fairings, etc) In other words, the tail section was not clean above. I could not tell if it was manned or a drone. I could hear the engines, they were not loud.

The picture below is of the mythical "Aurora". It looked much like this, with a much more busy look around the engine outlets.

My point is, we have something really cool looking.

LmpwZw

I have seen this thing (it's a model for testing I believe) and other similar shapes on the ground or on the pylon at Gwinn.

26°55'42.75" N 80°20'22.71" W (look on Google Earth if you are curious) (use the historical imagery button to look at past images of the area, you might see something neat)

NTUzLmpwZw

Last edited:
Our G600's avionics suite is quite capable and is well configured for GA uses. However, it's not lost on me that it's software driven, and it's capable of doing anything it's software tells it to do. The components are top shelf, powerful and capable, everything is fly-by-wire and throttle-by-wire.

There are military uses for that kind of aircraft. Mostly hauling around VIPs like cabinet secretaries and senior officers. This one is pretty unique, because it's operated by the US Army, although it has the same color scheme. I think the US Navy has a few of these too, but they not using the same livery.

14254993679_8bfba3be04_b.jpg

Back