Russia Unveils New 'Checkmate' Fighter Jet

I

Not sure how accurate those unit costs are in the long run given that they’ll be locked into buying parts and maintenance.

Foreign customers get that as complete contracts.

Sure. Just like the purchase price of a car doesn’t include parts and maintenance. But Lockheed Martin is under enormous pressure on sustainment costs and they are negotiated as well.

Sure. Just like the purchase price of a car doesn’t include parts and maintenance. But Lockheed Martin is under enormous pressure on sustainment costs and they are negotiated as well.

That might be a little bit different. I get that the profit center for most car dealers is parts and service, although that gets complicated because one can go to any dealer, use third-party parts/service, etc. But they count on a certain number of owners coming back to the same dealership for all that.

But yeah there aren't really third-party parts for an F-35. That may be about as locked in to their parts/software/service infrastructure as anything.

How does the F-35 compare to the other US jet fighters? And, other countries best jet fighters?

It's a bit moot as you buy an F-35 for it's stealth and there's no other stealth US offerings. Countries not interested in stealth buy Rafale, Typhoon, Gripen, F15, F-16, F-18, SU-27, SU-30, SU-35, Mig-35 or even JF-17.

Not really. I’ve interviewed for jobs in the aerospace industry. Astro knows more about this stuff than anyone else posting here.
You guys know that I am a science nerd, flew fighters (F-14 mostly, but also F/A-18) for the USN for over a decade, stayed active in the Navy Reserve (including several subsequent recalls to active duty) until I hit 30 years total service, still fly airplanes, and still read Aviation Week.

That said, I have not been participating much on these stealth and other discussions for a couple reasons; 1. much of what I know came from classified sources, and 2. I've been really busy flying at work.

Really busy.

So, I hope you'll all forgive my relative quiet on the issue.

Cheers,
Astro

You guys know that I am a science nerd, flew fighters (F-14 mostly, but also F/A-18) for the USN for over a decade, stayed active in the Navy Reserve (including several subsequent recalls to active duty) until I hit 30 years total service, still fly airplanes, and still read Aviation Week.

That said, I have not been participating much on these stealth and other discussions for a couple reasons; 1. much of what I know came from classified sources, and 2. I've been really busy flying at work.

Really busy.

So, I hope you'll all forgive my relative quiet on the issue.

Cheers,
Astro

You don't owe us anything and have been more than generous enough with your knowledge.

My interviews for the aerospace industry were all for various electronics design jobs. It wouldn't have really been about anything to do with the mechanical nature of aircraft but electronic controls, displays, etc.

Might have to ask Clint Eastwood to go to Russia, take it and fly it back to the U.S.
Don't even need Good old Clint Eastwood. Give it a couple of years. The us military will use shell companies to purchase a few and fly them out of Tonopah Test Range just like other Mig and Sukhois flying near area 51.

Back