Radical, Fuel-Efficient ‘Flying V’ Airplane Could Replace Jumbo Jets

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
The Flying-V, an experimental aircraft that promises significantly greater fuel efficiency over more conventional commercial jet designs, is moving towards a larger, more complicated version since the scaled, 10-foot model took flight in 2020 in Germany.

The Flying-V was designed as a fuel-efficient, long-range aircraft in which the passenger seating, fuel tanks and baggage hold are built into the wings. The aircraft will eventually have a 214-foot wingspan. Research shows that the unusual design stands to gain up to 20 percent better fuel efficiency than an Airbus A350 jetliner, considered today’s most advanced design. At full scale, the Flying-V would seat 315 passengers in two classes.

new-shape-flying-v-plane-studio-oso-fb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The form drag of an ultra thick wing like that is quite high. I remain quite skeptical of such "fat" flying wing designs.

Furthermore, the idea that a round tube fuselage is a high drag, zero lift configuration is incorrect. The airflow over the "tube" is not straight back, but rather follows a path from bottom to top, creating some lift. The way to minimize frontal area and lift induced drag is probably the way we are doing it. Long thin wings with a properly set angle of incidence, the angle the wing is mounted.

That is ummm - not visually appealing ....

Am I the only one that thinks the lack of landing footage is suspect...

Blended wing body have been proposed decades ago by NASA and others...they look much like this.

Far fewer windows than current designs. Passengers on the outboard "fuselage" will experience much great up/down when the airplane rolls, and much greater turbulence.

I'm going with the nickname "Vomit Comet"...

Interesting but too far from the “ norm” in civilian aviation. Any potential fuel savings will be used up by the plane’s development cost which unlike military spending, cannot just be added onto the nations debt.

Last edited:
Back