Russia Unveils New 'Checkmate' Fighter Jet

didn't fly yet or even went through ground trials... the shape might not be definitive.
It reminds me of that fake fighter jet IRAN tried to sell to the public a few years ago. That really blew up in their face. 🤣

Yes, but this isn't a fake I suspect. Let the debate begin about how stealthy it is, how maneuverable, how bad the radar is etc...

Seems to me it's a substitute for the F-35 for those who can't get them.

Yes, but this isn't a fake I suspect. Let the debate begin about how stealthy it is, how manoeuvreable, how bad the radar is etc...

Seems to me it's a substitute for the F-35 for those who can't get them.
Doesn't stealth require a lot more maintenance? If so I would think this aircraft goes against the Russian and any potential customers idea of maintenance.

Doesn't stealth require a lot more maintenance? If so I would think this aircraft goes against the Russian and any potential customers idea of maintenance.
Depends on the level of stealth desired.

Might be "enough" stealth to just use the geometry known to improve stealth without using RAM. I believe RAM is the maintenance intensive portion of the ultimate stealth equation.

Interestingly, it looks a lot like the mockups I see on the radar cross section testing pylon here in Florida. I fly over the airport where some stealth testing takes place. Often there are interesting large models visible.

Maybe it will fly someday. Looks like a copy of the YF-23

Pretty close, minus an engine. Lots of people believe the wrong plane won that contest.

We'll see when it flys what it really does. That's a long way off.

The plane itself is just a part of the package, clients expect supremely high levels of situational awareness and weapons targeting and flexibility.

Even if the airframes performance meets and beats the competition, its going to have a really hard time with the rest.

Cool marketing campaign though, mimicking the UAP encounters. clever.

I have a bunch of Russian clients, they are total blast to work with.

Interesting. :unsure:

So I took another look at the aircraft. I don't know about you guys but those air intakes look mighty small to me.

stealth coating potentially does, but stealth shaping not so much

Depends on the material. The F-35 material is supposed to be less maintenance intensive than any previous coating. But the big thing would be keeping it clean.

As far as this aircraft goes, it sounds like they're trying to be the low cost alternative for cost sensitive buyers.

Depends on the material. The F-35 material is supposed to be less maintenance intensive than any previous coating. But the big thing would be keeping it clean.

As far as this aircraft goes, it sounds like they're trying to be the low cost alternative for cost sensitive buyers.
lower cost than SU-57 in this case, which won't be cheap to buy, fly or maintain. They are not aiming for potential F-35 customers, rather those that are not getting F-35. Turkey?

lower cost than SU-57 in this case, which won't be cheap to buy, fly or maintain. They are not aiming for potential F-35 customers, rather those that are not getting F-35. Turkey?
How does the F-35 compare to the other US jet fighters? And, other countries best jet fighters?

Back