Runs better because you changed oil brands? C'mon that's placebo effect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by dickwells:
A randomized, double blind, multiple run test, monitored by unbiased referees would answer the question.

Surely the oil companies have done this or something similar(maybe not with unbiased referees) in an attempt to give them something to use in their advertising. Anyone know of an oil company that uses such a claim in their advertising?

I switched from Pennzoil 10w30 to Mobil 1 10W30 and I couldn't tell the differance. I guess it is the same as a car seems to run better after you wash it. I guess I could see it if we are talking about oil with 10K miles on it and how the engine runs with new oil. Most of the friction modifiers are probably gone in the old oil. I use to change out my dino every 3,000 miles and it always seemed to run the same after the change as it did before. Maybe some people are more sensitive to minuet things then others.

Add a few Coors Light to your system and your car will run real smooth.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
-*-* Let me have it.
twak.gif

Okay, I can tell in most cases... from changing dirty oil to clean oil or filters if they have racked up some miles, I can notice the response is better.

As far as switching oils, Yes you can tell with a lot of oils.... the better oils maybe much harder to notice a major change... but if tonight you changed my oil and added another, I would know something was wrong in the morning.

quote:

Originally posted by csandste:
Same with improvements after oil changes.

I lived with my buddy Craig one summer and we drove the he77 out of his canary yellow chevette. Putting gas in once I checked the oil and it was _nasty_. Since he was so good about letting me use it I figured I'd change the oil for him; it'd been about 9000 miles I think. I guarantee it made an immediate difference which was not subtle
smile.gif

I've never felt any differences in how engines run but have noticed noise differences between brands and different weights of the same brand...

[ November 19, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

I noticed a difference right away. For me its not from changing brands of oil, its simply running fresh fluids. How could you not notice?

In my Mustang, I recently switched from Ford Motorcraft 5W-20 to Castrol (GC) 0W-30 and again noticed quite a difference. Its certainly quiter from switching to a 30 weight oil.

Case in point: My wife noticed a difference and she never knew I changed the oil. Also, she doesn't know engine oil from baby oil.

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
Your car also runs better and quieter after taking it to the car wash! LOL

lol...my car seems faster after a nice wash....

my car is always quieter when i change my oil..smoother running as well...but thats cause its new heheh

Some of these claims are good because we learn from them eg. M-1 tends to be more noisey.

Others require some scrutiny eg. I have more power with brand A vs. brand B. Sometimes viscosity alone will make a difference and should only be compared when they're the same eg. both oils are a 5-30.

Last week I would have said placebo. This week I changed my mobil 1 at 4500 miles same weight and there was definitly a difference in smoothness. Something in this oil wears out with use or the new batch is better than the old batch. I am not kidding. Wonder if it would show on an oil analysis? Maybe it is the increase in Viscosity with mobil 1 Patman talks about.

quote:

Originally posted by TR3-2001SE:
-*-*. Wonder if it would show on an oil analysis? Maybe it is the increase in Viscosity with mobil 1 Patman talks about.

Bet it would if I was a betting man.
I can tell right before...
When I notice performance drop, and sound change, and smell change, and tackiness TACKY (??) etc. and my GAS drops for a couple days in a row, then I change it the next weekend.

I used some SF 20W-50 oil as a flush. I the car idled smoother on it. And thats no placebo, since I had M1 0w-40 in it before, and the plastic bottles it came in are worth more than the SF recyled crap... Made no sense.. But it was definitely true..

I know a guy that had a used pickup for 4 years and 25,000 miles and dosen't remember ever changing the oil in it. Says when he finally did it came out thick and nasty. He filled it with 20w50 and said it then ran with a higher idle. I bet the old thick junk was causing a lot of extra friction. But this is an extreme case. Going from one brand to another and maybe an SAE grade different is not likely to have a significant effect.

When I discovered this web site I switched from Valvoline oil to Chevron Supreme, then later Schaeffer's, and I also tried the German Castrol. All three of these motor oils seemed to make the car run better and smoother.

I have always noticed that immediately after I would change the oil in a car/truck, it seemed to run better for a few hundred miles. Regardless of the brand of oil used, just changing the oil seemed to make a difference.

But Chevron Supreme seemed to make my car run great throughout the oil change. Same thing with Schaeffer's. And the German Castrol really seems to make a car/truck run good.

My Corolla's engine feels like there is less internal drag in the motor with Exxon Superflo 5W30.
Always felt sluggish with M1 5W30.

Havoline 5W30 ran okay in my Corolla also.

Maybe it's because the Superflo doesn't thicken up as much when hot causing it to flow better through the oil passages(which create restriction/pressure)causing better overall flow.

Either that or the big tiger on the bottle makes it run faster....
shocked.gif

My 77 Chev 250 I-6 three on the tree sucks no matter what oil I put in it.
Right now SAE 10W seems about as good as anything else I've ever used.
Talk about the engine outlasting the rest of the vehicle....the dog liked to watch the ground go by through the holes in the floor.
Black lab (F) lived to 15 3/4, the truck is still runnin' at 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back