RUNNING TIME REQUIRED TO BURN OFF MOISTURE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would any of the experts care to confirm or -redirect me on something Ive pondered with regard to moisture and fuel burn off. Wouldnt using a lighter oil that is theoretically less thermally stable help burn off fuel/moisture more quickly/thoroughly?

Originally Posted By: kingy2
thanks hate2work .....
i have looked on all the toyota sites .no real info there
on it ..
many of them have the mayoanise like stuff in the fill tube and
under the cap .....it is a poor design for sure but all that moisture eventually runs down in the oil .
i just want to know how long i need to run to and how often
to burn it off ..
thanks again .

Check out http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61 2005+ Taco folder. Tons of info there. I am a former 05 TRD OR DC 4x4 Superwhite owner, still post on that site.
Condensation you see is due to the filler neck made out of plastic. It is colder than aluminum engine, so condensation builds up inside. A 60 minute run every couple of weeks will take care of it. It does not even have to be continuous. Go shopping on a weekend. It takes a while for the engine to cool off between the stops. Go to the furthest point first, and work your way back to the house.

Originally Posted By: Nederlander75
Would any of the experts care to confirm or -redirect me on something Ive pondered with regard to moisture and fuel burn off. Wouldnt using a lighter oil that is theoretically less thermally stable help burn off fuel/moisture more quickly/thoroughly?

I don't think the burn off rate of the fuel/moisture contamination in the oil (from blow-by) would be dependant on the weight of oil used in the engine.

The burn off rate is dependant on the temperature the contaminates get to (which is directly related to the oil temperature) and how long they are above a temp to cause them to burn off. To get good burn off you need to have 200+ deg F oil temps for quite a while.

Of course, even with hot oil temps you can sell get condensation crud buildup inside the engine where there are cool spots as discussed above about the Tacoma's long plastic oil filler neck issue.

How new a vehicle? New cars have very small, high flow cooling systems that allow them to get to operating temps. very quickly.
My '06 Tribute V6 gets the oil to operating temps during warmer weather on a 2 mile trip from the station, with a few stop light waits, about 10 min.

Of course if it's 12 degress out it will take much longer.

It is in the add-a-gauge option. Go to their web site and follow the instructions. There are multiple parameters to install. Not all vehicles support all options.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
How new a vehicle? New cars have very small, high flow cooling systems that allow them to get to operating temps. very quickly.
My '06 Tribute V6 gets the oil to operating temps during warmer weather on a 2 mile trip from the station, with a few stop light waits, about 10 min.

It probably has a coolant-to-oil heat exchanger on the base of the oil filter - many newer vehicles are going this route. My Altima V6 and Tacoma V6 also have this setup. It not only keeps the oil cooler when hot, but it helps warm up the oil faster during a cold start up ... which would also help keep down the moisture and sludge from forming on shorter drives.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: Drew2000

It probably has a coolant-to-oil heat exchanger on the base of the oil filter - many newer vehicles are going this route. My Altima V6 and Tacoma V6 also have this setup. It not only keeps the oil cooler when hot, but it helps warm up the oil faster during a cold start up ... which would also help keep down the moisture and sludge from forming on shorter drives.

Only Tacos with factory tow packages have oil coolers.

So the preponderance of the water is in the dipstick tube and on the bottom of the filler cap?
Dipstick tubes run cool and have no PCV air flow to purge them.
They are stagnant.
Filler caps are better, but indicate what is inside the valve cover.
In winter, consider a partial block of the radiator to get things warmed up quicker and stay hotter in the engine and under the hood.
How long? Impossible to say. It may never run long enough to get rid of all the water in a remote area, if it is cold enough outside.
Make sure your PCV is in perfect shape.

thanks for all the replies guys !
i will try to get in more long runs to keep the moisture out as it is only a problem in the winter months .

hate2work thanks for the heads up.
my motor mounts are good and i have had the suspension upgrade done .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back