Running a two stroke at 60:1 or 70:1

I have my chain saws and backpack blowers with synthetic at 75:1. I bought them new in the late 1970s and early 1980s. They run fine yet and still good power. I use them hard when I use them which is occasional each year.

32:1 thru 50:1.

Don't go experimenting with leaner oil mixes. Not sure why anyone would run 100:1 amsoil. Other than bragging rights, 2.6 oz ~ 3.2 oz of oil is not where the expense is. The equipment and the trips to the gas pump is where the most expense is.

Red armor is top notch oil, and it does have a funny smell. Husky XP+ has less odor and works ok as well.

So I bought a Sthil gas leaf blower. The exhaust is out out in front so you kind of walk into to it. I ran it a few minutes using Echo Red Armor as that's what I had, but it left me stinking like exhaust.

Maybe use what I already have and go with a 60:1 or 70:1 mix?

I'm not going going electric. Any another off shelf oil suggestions?
You do realize Stihl makes an excellent oil?? Why wouldn't you follow their guidance?

Fordiesel69 has never used Stihl Ultra,but spent too much time watching Youtube. People that have never used it are the main critics. I see lots of machines which have used Ultra,the exhaust ports are always clean,the pistons still have their original machining marks on them and the skirts are carbon free. What more do you want from a 2 stroke opil?

Can someone show me where Stihl Ultra is FB rated.
I believe Stihl used to claim that Ultra and Ultra HP were JASO FB and Ultra Super was JASO FD.

Ultra HP is now full synthetic and their best oil out of two choices, STIHL doesn’t state the JASO equivalent anymore.

I bet Ultra HP is FD and the lower tier mineral a FB.

Fordiesel69 has never used Stihl Ultra,but spent too much time watching Youtube. People that have never used it are the main critics. I see lots of machines which have used Ultra,the exhaust ports are always clean,the pistons still have their original machining marks on them and the skirts are carbon free. What more do you want from a 2 stroke opil?

On newer machines that use plastic caged crank bearings, or for units that use proprietary bearings with integral seals, having excellent oil film strength in the bottom end is quite vital. If you operate a leaf blower, trimmer, or saw on Stihl Ultra, the crankcase is nearly bone dry. If you run a different oil such as a JASO FD, the bottom end will have a very generous film of oil on all of the parts.

This oil has the JASO FD rating. The Stihl Ultra silver bottle does not have one but it is assumed to be JASO FB. Why would you be willing to pay MORE for an oil that offers LESS?

I will admit I am a Echo Red Armor Fanboy, but I would be happy to use other oils if they were JASO FD rated and more affordable. Locally this just isnt the reality. I was able to score from red in bulk and the price was unbeatable.

Stihl ultra in the silver bottle used to say “ meets JASO FB” or something like that. I haven’t used it in a few years, so I guess it doesn’t say that anymore based on the comments

I emailed Stihl about the standard HP oil in the orange bottle and they told me it also meets the FB spec.

Back