Running 5w-40 oil in B58

It really comes down to the old saying "as thin as possible, but as thick as necessary". 10w60 on the M cars was spec'ed assuming the operating parameters they would be used in would favor a thicker oil. 10w60 holds up well on a track, but it takes a heck of a long time to get up to temperature.
Which is odd since a thicker oil heats up faster than a thinner one.

The biggest problem with M3 and 10W60 oils is 24yrs old IT engineer who bought one and thought he bought all the rights to brain cells.
Meaning, WOT while cold? Why not! I own M3, I know everything about BMW’s.

It was an engineering problem. It has happened on several engines over ~two decades. Some (all?) of them even had lower rev limiters when cold.

For some reason they forgot how to build engines... A shame.

My conspiracy theory is they are trying to make sure every ICE is clapped out within 10 years forcing everyone to get an electric car.
Yes but the smart people are expecting to get a hydrogen car. The EV's suck there is not enough electricity. They plan is to put you on the bus and raise the prices!

It would be hard to think of a more inappropriate vehicle fuel than hydrogen, all the way from production to storage to distribution.

It would be hard to think of a more inappropriate vehicle fuel than hydrogen, all the way from production to storage to distribution.
Much less pollution and my guess is your argument will fall by the wayside when we run out of gas or the price is so outrageous you can't afford it!

I thought edyvw did, but then I reread his
post and see he said LL-01 and LL-04
whereas I thought he was saying
LL-01 or LL-04.

Much less pollution and my guess is your argument will fall by the wayside when we run out of gas or the price is so outrageous you can't afford it!
We'll never run out of oil. Hydrogen will never become a primary fuel source for light duty truck/cars because of packaging requirements (heavy tanks which must continually vent H2 to the atmosphere) combined with the fact that hydrogen is an extremely low density gas which makes it impossible to transport via pipeline unlike say NatGas.

Back