Ruger announces pistol caliber carbine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Never seen the point of a carbine firing 9mm. .45 ACP, yeah, 10mm Auto, yeah.

But $649 MSRP? In the MAGA era?
laugh.gif

I can think of uses for a 9mm carbine. Plinking, home defense, varmint control, maybe medium game if your laws allow.
Although I don't live back East anymore, I'd love to try this out on some groundhogs. Sometimes when they are approaching 30 lbs, the old .22 doesn't always work that well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
A Ruger PC9 repop. Still trying to warm up to pistol caliber rifles in general, let's see how this one runs.

MSRP of $649 will be street price under $500 after the gotta have it frenzy dies down. Ruger fans will be happy.

But surely they could have done a better job on that magwell opening, that just looks like a mistake.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-PCCarbine.htm

Wow. How did Gunblast get their hands on one, the very day the press release came out?
smile.gif

I'm really impressed, now. Half inch groups at 50 yds. with the one Buffalo Bore load! Same load slightly exceeding the vaunted .357 125 gr. load!

That magwell opening might look like that because it is long enough for 10mm
04.gif

Last edited:
If I could just close my eyes, and listen to the last half of the video, I could be back home 40 years ago. Jeff Quinn sounds like my uncles, I have always loved that song, and the sound of shooting right off the back porch.
50.gif

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Wow. How did Gunblast get their hands on one, the very day the press release came out?
smile.gif

He releases a lot of videos on the same exact day that the company press release comes out. Basically, he gets the gun a few weeks ahead of time, makes a video, and promises not to release the video until the official company press release.

A Ruger carbine, that when released, has the option to shoot three different magazines, to include Glock pistols. Genius!

They could do .40 caliber, .45ACP caliber, maybe 10MM, etc. This could be a VERY good seller for Ruger.

I WILL buy one. Not the first issue, but probably a year from now.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
smile.gif

He releases a lot of videos on the same exact day that the company press release comes out. Basically, he gets the gun a few weeks ahead of time, makes a video, and promises not to release the video until the official company press release.

I know. I was being facetious.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Never seen the point of a carbine firing 9mm. .45 ACP, yeah, 10mm Auto, yeah.

But $649 MSRP? In the MAGA era?
laugh.gif

I can think of uses for a 9mm carbine. Plinking, home defense, varmint control, maybe medium game if your laws allow.
Although I don't live back East anymore, I'd love to try this out on some groundhogs. Sometimes when they are approaching 30 lbs, the old .22 doesn't always work that well.
smile.gif

Well, now that you mention it, maybe I'm dismissing it too quickly. After all, 9mm range ammo is going for less than 20 cents a round at Walmart (just bought my sister a 200-round box of the Federal Al case 115g for Christmas for $34.xx plus tax). Then you figure a 16" barrel is going to add quite a bit of velocity over and above what it would be out of a pistol. And then it accepts Glock mags, which are available in 15, 17 and 33 round capacity.

Factor in the increased accuracy it'll be capable of in most people's hands over a 9mm pistol, and it's starting to sound a lot better.

I would say, a 10mm carbine, with some appropriate Underwood ammo, could probably come close to 30-30 ballistics.

I've thought many times about getting one of those MechTech carbine uppers for my Glock 20. Hickok45 liked it.

https://youtu.be/wfVPEQfmHEA

I think it's going to be a flop. Looks like a Kal-tech rifle. Hi-Point made a 9 mm carbine and for all the make fun of Hi-Point so did Beretta with the Storm.
I can't see the real advantage of this gun. I wouldn't want one. Only reason it's making a splash is because Ruger has a religious following. The gun is ugly and the price to high.
The tactical monkeys won't want it and the real shooters care too much for a Aesthetics. This may catch a small group of Ruger lovers and people that think "How Cute". Don't see it being a winner.

Took my B92 out the the range the week before the Christmas Break...really enjoyed it.

But a 9mm or 32Hand R pump would float my boat about now (no auto down here)

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think it's going to be a flop. Looks like a Kel-tec rifle. Hi-Point made a 9 mm carbine and for all the make fun of Hi-Point so did Beretta with the Storm.
I can't see the real advantage of this gun. I wouldn't want one. Only reason it's making a splash is because Ruger has a religious following. The gun is ugly and the price to high.
The tactical monkeys won't want it and the real shooters care too much for a Aesthetics. This may catch a small group of Ruger lovers and people that think "How Cute". Don't see it being a winner.

Did you miss the part where it takes Glock magazines? THAT ALONE is the reason this carbine will sell like hot cakes. This gun will be perpetually out of stock, everywhere. Assuming it gets favorable reviews and is reliable.

Street price is currently $520 on pre-order, and likely $475-500 after the hype dies down a bit. Not all that expensive, and right where it needs to be.

People have been screaming for 20 years for a reliable carbine that takes Glock magazines. This could be it.

This gun will be a HUGE hit for Ruger. Huge. Any naysayers really dont understand the gun market.

The Beretta Storm carbine is approaching $1000, when you can find one. The highpoint is a $150 turd with 10 rd or less junk, proprietary mags. You cant really compare this to either of them. Glock 9mm mags are uber reliable and come in a 33 rd version, which IS the draw of this gun.

BECAUSE the 33 rd Glock magazine exists, is the reason this gun will be popular. Period.

More reasons why it will be popular
-modular. aftermarket stocks will probably be abundant within 5 years. Think Magpul backpacker stocks.
-uses 10/22 trigger, HUGE aftermarket of amazing, ready to go triggers
-Ruger can easily engineer caliber conversions. .40, 45ACP, 10MM etc
-They could theoretically, and easily, come out with Smith&Wesson, Beretta, Sig and other brand mag wells, which would grab even more market share.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think it's going to be a flop. Looks like a Kal-tech rifle. Hi-Point made a 9 mm carbine and for all the make fun of Hi-Point so did Beretta with the Storm.

This gun WILL SELL, and sell well. For several reasons. First off, in addition to what Bubba said, revolver and pistol cartridges chambered in shoulder fired weapons have always been very popular. Going all the way back to frontier times. Today if you look at the Marlin, Rossi, and Winchester lever action carbines chambered for the rimmed revolver cartridges, they ALL sell well, and are difficult to find in stock in most gun shops. Even the well stocked one's like Cabela's, have difficulty in keeping them available to customers, and on the rack.

Rimless auto pistol rounds in semi auto carbines are simply a more modernized version of this whole concept. So there is no reason to believe they won't sell as well, or even better. Especially when you consider the fact tactical semi auto weaponry is much more popular today, than lever guns are. Even with the popularity of cowboy action shooting.

And knowing Ruger, this will only be the first of many different versions of this weapon. In time to come look for Stainless Steel versions. Tactical models with folding stocks. Laminated stocks in every color of the rainbow. More caliber choices. And on and on. Just like the entire Mini 14, and Ruger 10-22 line has been built on. To say this is a very "buildable" platform, is an understatement. This could very well end up being another 10-22 / Mini 14 success story for Ruger. No other major manufacturer is producing these, ever since Marlin stopped production on their Camp Carbines, that many shooters have been begging them to reintroduce.

And there are many shooters out there like myself, that want this type of weapon, but are just not interested in owning the cheap, plastic and die cast Hi-Points, and other low cost, odd looking abortions that have been languishing out there, begging to be sold. They are waiting for brand name quality. Now it's here. People will be chomping at the bit for these guns. I'm guessing they'll be allocated for quite a while before you start seeing them in gun shops with any regularity.... And at a fair street price range Ruger is known for.

I have a Marlin Camp 9 and a Camp 45, a Browning B92 in 44Mag/44, a Win 1892 in 357/38, a HiPoint 4095, AR-15 pattern DI 10mm.....first of all nothing wrong with the 4095!!
lol.gif

I bought these for low recoil fun plinking, defense, cost of ammo......but really found out after I started reloading. Just having 1000s of brass cases "in circulation", buying powder, projectiles and primers is absolutely easier to deal with than shouldered rifle brass.

It's my guess that when these guns become very successful for Ruger, you'll see Marlin reintroduce the Camp Carbine in order to compete, and grab a share of the market. Especially now that they've been taken over by Cerberus and the Freedom Group. Sometimes firearm manufacturers get it wrong on the other end. They quit making guns they shouldn't have. Even Ruger.

I'm seeing they now have reintroduced the Ruger Old Army Cap & Ball Revolver. Davidson's is not only showing them in stock. But they are available in Polished Stainless Steel.... Albeit at a much higher price. With a well saturated firearms market, like we currently have, manufacturers will try anything to drum up business.

http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=GKBP-5F

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back