Ruger announces pistol caliber carbine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Does it stay open after the last round is shot? I don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Yes in the Gunblast video.

Thanks AZjeff! I hadn't had a chance to watch the video yet!

Magazine compatibility is a pretty huge surprise in my opinion. With the takedown option, and mag replaceable magwells, I can only hope that it's a matter of time before 10mm (and other) replacement barrels and mag wells are on the market.

I know a lot of you guys are free to buy whatever rifle you want, but in some areas that still have some kind of assault weapon ban, a featureless, non-pistol grip rifle is all we can have, and no, I'm not going to move.

I gotta say though, how does Ruger keep releasing these new firearms so quickly? I know there's something to be said about their recalls, but still, their engineering dept must be enormous.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think it's going to be a flop. Looks like a Kel-tec rifle. Hi-Point made a 9 mm carbine and for all the make fun of Hi-Point so did Beretta with the Storm.
I can't see the real advantage of this gun. I wouldn't want one. Only reason it's making a splash is because Ruger has a religious following. The gun is ugly and the price to high.
The tactical monkeys won't want it and the real shooters care too much for a Aesthetics. This may catch a small group of Ruger lovers and people that think "How Cute". Don't see it being a winner.

Did you miss the part where it takes Glock magazines? THAT ALONE is the reason this carbine will sell like hot cakes. This gun will be perpetually out of stock, everywhere. Assuming it gets favorable reviews and is reliable.

Street price is currently $520 on pre-order, and likely $475-500 after the hype dies down a bit. Not all that expensive, and right where it needs to be.

People have been screaming for 20 years for a reliable carbine that takes Glock magazines. This could be it.

This gun will be a HUGE hit for Ruger. Huge. Any naysayers really dont understand the gun market.

The Beretta Storm carbine is approaching $1000, when you can find one. The highpoint is a $150 turd with 10 rd or less junk, proprietary mags. You cant really compare this to either of them. Glock 9mm mags are uber reliable and come in a 33 rd version, which IS the draw of this gun.

BECAUSE the 33 rd Glock magazine exists, is the reason this gun will be popular. Period.

More reasons why it will be popular
-modular. aftermarket stocks will probably be abundant within 5 years. Think Magpul backpacker stocks.
-uses 10/22 trigger, HUGE aftermarket of amazing, ready to go triggers
-Ruger can easily engineer caliber conversions. .40, 45ACP, 10MM etc
-They could theoretically, and easily, come out with Smith&Wesson, Beretta, Sig and other brand mag wells, which would grab even more market share.

Agree 100%. In fact, the closer it comes to the flexibility and availability of aftermarket accessories. ..just like the 10/22, the more popular this carbine will be. Collapsible stock version, stainless version. Brilliant move by Ruger.

Last edited:
Yeah, it aint like they don't know marketing ... Ranch rifle, 10/22, even their pistols are in demand. Looks like another hit
smile.gif

After reading several articles about this weapon, and examining several photographs, I still agree it will be a big seller for Ruger. However the gun is not very atheistically pleasing. At least in it's current configuration. And I'm not seeing where a laminated stock version would easily be adaptable. Because of how a portion of the magazine well assembly appears to be molded directly into the stock itself. I think it would take extensive modification to change it.

A Stainless or Electroless Nickel version would give the gun some color contrast. And make it far more durable and weatherproof as a utility carbine. But it remains to be seen when, or even if Ruger will offer any other configurations of this weapon. It will have a definite sales advantage over the 9 MM, AR-15 carbines currently on the market in states that have restrictions on AR platform weapons, and others with pistol grip stocks. But fortunately Arizona doesn't have any of those. So for now I'll stick with my Rock River Arms LAR-9, 9 MM AR-15. Plenty of aftermarket grips, stocks, and forends are available. And it runs like a Rolex with inexpensive 10, 20, or 32 round capacity magazines from several manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: billt460
After reading several articles about this weapon, and examining several photographs, I still agree it will be a big seller for Ruger. However the gun is not very atheistically pleasing. At least in it's current configuration. And I'm not seeing where a laminated stock version would easily be adaptable. Because of how a portion of the magazine well assembly appears to be molded directly into the stock itself. I think it would take extensive modification to change it.

A Stainless or Electroless Nickel version would give the gun some color contrast. And make it far more durable and weatherproof as a utility carbine. But it remains to be seen when, or even if Ruger will offer any other configurations of this weapon. It will have a definite sales advantage over the 9 MM, AR-15 carbines currently on the market in states that have restrictions on AR platform weapons, and others with pistol grip stocks. But fortunately Arizona doesn't have any of those. So for now I'll stick with my Rock River Arms LAR-9, 9 MM AR-15. Plenty of aftermarket grips, stocks, and forends are available. And it runs like a Rolex with inexpensive 10, 20, or 32 round capacity magazines from several manufacturers.

I still that magazine well looks like that because it will accomodating various calibers.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I still that magazine well looks like that because it will accomodating various calibers.

No doubt. I'm sure both .40 S&W, along with .45 ACP versions are on the way. Jeff showed how the Glock and S&W magazine modules are swapped out by removing the stock. It's pretty simple, and wouldn't require much to have other calibers adapted to it. I'm just sooooo... tired of seeing sooooo... much plastic, on what seems like every new gun that comes out now a day's.

HiPoint is shipping their carbine in 10mm for about half, and excellent customer service like Ruger's. The barrel is also threaded. I like and enjoy my Rugers, but to only offer a wimpy 9mm, to quote a rich man's son, "a nothing burger".

Come to think of it, my TNW Aero Survival Rifle is a multi-caliber (10mm, 40, and 357 Sig). Because those rounds have the same cartridge head, all I need to do is buy a barrel for each caliber @$124. The barrel can be threaded too. I got mine at Cabela's for....wait for it.....$689.....LAST YEAR! As I said in my previous post,I truly like my Ruger's. I'd asked them for a 10mm two years ago on the website "voice of the customer". Can't understand why they didn't jump in sooner and bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back