RP Filter Death Rattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm waiting to hear if the Motorcraft filter fixed the issue! Guess OP got up at 3:30am to test it and fell back asleep.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
You know the manufacturer will not admit to any problems with their product and if it's similar to another manufacturer, they will say that it's your fault for dropping it and denting it.

Stand-up companies will want the filter back to inspect it. I had a Super Tech ST7317 filter rattle in my hand before installing it. I mailed it back to Champ Labs and they said that though there was no visual evidence of deformation on the filter, the case was probably dropped at some point in shipping or receiving by the store. They sent me four new ST7317s for my trouble.

Last night there was no rattle on any startup after I swapped in the Motorcraft filter(and I WAS out there until 2am and I'm sure my neighbors hate me now), no rattle at startup this morning and none after work today. I also noticed that I barely lost any oil from the top of the motor during the filter swap last night. I'm pretty sure I got a filter with a defective ADBV. I have contacted RP and they have already responded with some questions so I have full confidence that they'll get to the bottom of it instead of giving me the run around. If RP decides they don't want the filter back then I will surely cut it open and post pics. Thanks for all of your suggestions guys!

Originally Posted By: ECUpirate
Last night there was no rattle on any startup after I swapped in the Motorcraft filter(and I WAS out there until 2am and I'm sure my neighbors hate me now), no rattle at startup this morning and none after work today. I also noticed that I barely lost any oil from the top of the motor during the filter swap last night. I'm pretty sure I got a filter with a defective ADBV. I have contacted RP and they have already responded with some questions so I have full confidence that they'll get to the bottom of it instead of giving me the run around. If RP decides they don't want the filter back then I will surely cut it open and post pics. Thanks for all of your suggestions guys!

I was in a bit of haste in my reply. By all means see if RP will help you out in any way with the filter issue.
If they don't and you keep it, cut that bad boy open and display the filter prom!
20.gif

LOL, after this update we might have to change that to "Three filters, One OCI". As I stated before, I have been in contact with RP today and the person that I've been exchanging emails with seems extremely knowledgeable, pleasant, and quick to respond. While he remains skeptical that the ADBV has failed he didn't rule it out and has provided me with a plethora of data, possible causes, and even researched common issues associated with my particular situation. They are sending me a new filter for my trouble. He did not mention sending the old filter back but I'll wait until he emails me back before I cut it open. No startup noise all day on the MC filter.....

Three filters, One OCI
Depending on dirt levels, this is an excellent idea!

...They are sending me a new filter for my trouble...

If this one causes a rattle on startup then it should be
31.gif
for RP filters...

Originally Posted By: Kuato
...They are sending me a new filter for my trouble...

If this one causes a rattle on startup then it should be
31.gif
for RP filters...

....and yet I know many people with mustangs that happen to use royal purple oil filters with no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back