Royal Purple 5W-30- 03 Toyota Corolla, 4169 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: skylinegtr
I have a K&N intake and using their filter. I think it's about time to change the filter.

I keep hearing how K&N intakes/filters are really bad about letting abrasive particles pass through. I`d go back with OEM.
Yeah but just think of the power loss as well as the decrease of MPGs.

I`m hoping this is sarcasm :)

On a 1.8L 105 HP Corolla, a K&N filter isn`t going to achieve anything other than allow in extra debris along with the unnecessary added air flow.

I have a Corolla as well and stick to plain paper filters.

-Spyder

This almost looks like there is something mechanically wrong but I have no idea what. This engine doesn't look healthy.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Fix the air intake leak and your results will be much better.

What makes you think intake? The Cu and Pb are off the charts (not really) but Fe, Al, Nickel, Chromium ..are all normal.

This has to have bypassed the intake all together.

Someone dropped pebbles in when adding oil (no, they didn't). It's probably the PCV plumbing where the stuff can get directly into the crankcase and do some nasty stuff.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: skylinegtr
I have a K&N intake and using their filter. I think it's about time to change the filter.

I keep hearing how K&N intakes/filters are really bad about letting abrasive particles pass through. I`d go back with OEM.

Ditto.

(removed trolling comment from another member)

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to 'reset' this engine - put in a paper filter, and do a short, 1-2k run with a cheap 5W-30 or 10W-30 to 'flush' out the debris. Then re-fill with another 5W-30/10W-30 of your choice, and UOA at 4-5k miles to see how you are doing.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
You need to 'reset' this engine - put in a paper filter, and do a short, 1-2k run with a cheap 5W-30 or 10W-30 to 'flush' out the debris. Then re-fill with another 5W-30/10W-30 of your choice, and UOA at 4-5k miles to see how you are doing.

This is very good advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back