Royal Purple 5W-30- 03 Toyota Corolla, 4169 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone comments:

Universal averages show typical wear levels for Toyota's 1.8L engine after 5,000 miles on the oil. You ran this oil 4,169 miles and above average copper, lead and silicon showed up. If your engine has had work done, the wear is from wear-in of new parts and the silicon is from harmless silicone sealers used during assembly. If not, the excess wear is from brass/bronze parts and bearings. Silicon could show abrasive dirt, so check your air filtration system for leaks. The oil's TBN was 2.6, showing some active addictive remaining in the oil. 1.0 is a low TBN.

MI/HR on oil - 4,169
MI/HR on unit- 78,835
Sample Date- 05/27/10
Make up oil added- 0 qts

Aluminum- 4
Chromium- 0
Iron- 9
Copper- 77
Lead- 25
Tin- 0
Molybdenum- 112
Nickel- 0
Manganese- 1
Silver- 0
Titanium- 0
Potassium- 1
Boron- 11
Silicon- 21
Sodium- 8
Calcium- 2797
Magnesium- 1177
Phosphorus- 848
Zinc- 1024
Barium- 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F- 57.0
cSt Viscosity @ 100C- 9.37
Flashpoint in F- 373
Fuel%- Antifreeze%- 0.0
Water%- 0.0
Insolubles%- 0.3
TBN- 2.6

The car is driven 80% city and 20% highway. Judging from this report it doesn't seem like a good one. Copper and lead seems way to high and not sure why. With a TBN of 2.6 after 4k miles it seems like I need to change my oil every 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: skylinegtr
I have a K&N intake and using their filter. I think it's about time to change the filter.

I keep hearing how K&N intakes/filters are really bad about letting abrasive particles pass through. I`d go back with OEM.

Last edited:
Quote:
I keep hearing how K&N intakes/filters are really bad about letting abrasive particles pass through. I`d go back with OEM.

I couldn't agree more. +1 doesn't seem like enough.

This is why we need uoa's and ditch knN and use paper filter. Resample in 4k use a synthetic to clean anything that might be in there.

that's job for ULTRA clean .
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I have a K&N intake and using their filter. I think it's about time to change the filter.

In my experience with much longer drains the K&N didn't show a problem with silicon. It was only after the 6th or so cleaning that things started to unravel for it. Mine was exposed so it got physically dirtier than most enclosed filters, so it was cleaned way too often ..which (MY SPECULATION) wore out the gauze material sooner than it should have.

I serviced mine every 6months ..while K&N dictated about every 2 years in my usage.

I'd just get one of the Amsoil EAA filters that will fit the K&N intake to replace the gauze element and check the intake plumbing for leaks.

Is this Corolla standard or auto?

Definitely not an oil issue. Between the dirt and fuel dilution, this looks like a rough run for any oil. Even when you get the issues resolved, these metals might not drain completely out for a couple OCIs.

You plan on doing consecutive UOAs and watching the trends?

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
I'd just get one of the Amsoil EAA filters that will fit the K&N intake to replace the gauze element and check the intake plumbing for leaks.

Is this Corolla standard or auto?

It's a automatic.

Getcha a Toyota oem air filter/Toyota oem oil filter/and some Pennzoil. I`ll be willing to bet your next uoa will be much better,if not perfect.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Yeah but just think of the power loss as well as the decrease of MPGs.

I have a k&n air filter installed in my camry and silicone level was 25+ but very low wear metals some thing else wrong here.

(Fuchs GT1 0w-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back