Router Reccommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace my dying linksys wrt54g router which I've had for like 8 years I think. Also hoping to get something that will provide a little better range that will extend outside and into my garage.

Thinking about a netgear 3400 or 3700. Amazon has the 3400 for $72 and the 3700 for $79. I think either will be a massive upgrade for me. I'm not doing anything complex at my house, just streaming shows to our tv, and a tablet and phones using the wifi. Would these routers be overkill for that? I don't mind buying something better than what I presently need if it is a better value.

Anybody have any recommendations for me? Thanks!

buy something that is brand name and has good reviews.

Usually avoiding brands such as TP-LINK and other chinese brands you have never heard of is good.

Even if they are good at first they tend to live shorter lives from corners cut... heatsinks etc.

ASUS has served me well. I have had this router since 2012 and it has been rock solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320062&cm_re=routers_wireless_n%2b-_-33-320-062-_-Product

I have a asus rt-N66u and it has been the best router i've ever had the pleasure using. Its been rock solid for about 2 years now.

Originally Posted By: Bryankkkk
I have a asus rt-N66u and it has been the best router i've ever had the pleasure using. Its been rock solid for about 2 years now.

+1 The best N router on the market. Excellent performance and range and it's rock solid stable. I have 3 in different locations.

If you like to research, go to www.smallnetbuilder.com

I always liked dlink. Pick one with good reviews and range abilities. The only other factor would be internet speed when it comes to streaming.

Another vote for N66U.

However, from a range perspective, I don't think you're going to improve much on your old trusty WRT54G. For longer distances and or thick walls, you might have to look into other solutions such as range extenders/repeaters.

Check the individual model and revision's review, not just buying on brand.

There were some excellent routers that was cost cut and became horrible (i.e. Linksys WRT160N rev 1.0 / 1.1 are great, 2.0 are junk).

If anything, I'd pick one that is based on Broadcom and Athereos / Qualcomm chipset and skip Marvell, Ralink, or any other smaller brands chipset.

If range is needed, RT-N66U is good. If not, RT-N56U will do great.

I've had N66U for few years, it's nice. There's plenty of firmware lines to choose from, I'm using asuswrt-merlin.

Weird, I have put about 5 $28 walmart belkin routers in my friends home. Not one has died yet.

I have had bad luck with Netgear.

At home I use Cisco.

Look around at Goodwill.
I just picked up a Linksys WRT-320N, for $10...

Changed the hardware ID, re-flashed it to an E2000...

I like the Linksys routers because I can filter MAC addresses,
and only allow certain ones access...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back