Which rotor should I get?

• AC Delco Gold / Professional

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Napa Premium

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Other (Include w/ reply)

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
So, I cheapened out on the previous brake service (fronts only) for an 07 Honda Fit Sport.

In summer of 2019, I bought Centric brand Premium Rotors and Pads. The rotors warped within a couple months nearly and now it’s about 25k miles in with the pads already at the wear indicators.

Prior to this, I used a Napa Premium “kit” with both their Premium rotor (not the Ultra Premium tho) and their Premium line of brake pads (ceramic)...those lasted 80k.

However, I’m interested in switching over to Akebono Pro Act pads and want to pair with a reliable rotor rather than the nearly $50 Napa wants for their Premium rotors.

AC Delco has a Gold/Professional listing on RockAuto for $32 each after shipping.

I know most rotors are made in China or elsewhere these days. Is this particular one comparable to the Napa? It offers the same 24 month warranty, but also Unlimited mileage.

I have not removed to confirm if there is a caliper or guide pin issue on currently installed Centric pads/rotors that could have contributed, but we did follow proper break in procedures that came with the pads. They also came with new clips and appeared good quality in of itself. 🤷‍♂️

Highly disappointing experience. I would just swap back to Napa’s Premium kit (just mix matched from their brand offerings actually) but looking at all options and see Akebono as perhaps a better ceramic pad than the regular Napa Premium pads; but have questions on the rotor.

Last edited:
Powerstop coated rotors are a good choice. Wagner's coated rotors are also good.
Napa's rotors are probably Raybestos. If you have to buy Napa rotors, get their Ultra Premium.

ACDelco's Gold/Professional line is mid-grade aftermarket parts reboxed. The ACDelco rotors are likely Raybestso, too, so the Napa Premium and ACDelco Pro could even be the same rotors.

If you need new calipers, get the Raybestos Element3 all-new (not reman) calipers.

I like Napa stuff they really have high quality standards and I’ve used their parts before with no issues. I done brake pads and rotors on my friends truck and they are doing excellent with the Napa pads and rotors. I’m sure the pads you want to use are fine. I’ve always liked Raybestos best for brakes though but that is just my preference I put Raybestos pads and rotors on my truck and they are doing excellent too just the basic line stuff that they have.

Powerstop coated rotors are a good choice. Wagner's coated rotors are also good.
Napa's rotors are probably Raybestos. If you have to buy Napa rotors, get their Ultra Premium.

ACDelco's Gold/Professional line is mid-grade aftermarket parts reboxed. The ACDelco rotors are likely Raybestso, too, so the Napa Premium and ACDelco Pro could even be the same rotors.

If you need new calipers, get the Raybestos Element3 all-new (not reman) calipers.
Thanks! I believe you on the Raybestos = AC Delco Gold/Professional line.

I just compared the pictures on RA listings... for Raybestos “street” performance to the AC Delco in question and they are identical!! Lol 😂

@slacktide_bitog Since you mentioned PowerStop & Wagner; are they on par with Raybestos? Really just wanting to avoid the Centric warping with a rotor that can last; considering use of Akebono pads and avoiding re-doing the job.

Napa Ultra Premium may be out of my price range even though it could be the best pairing.

Last edited:
Probably doesn't matter because they both likely are Chinese made.
I'm starting to see a lot of parts sourced from India, Vietnam, and Indonesia. I think China has moved up a rung on the lab or cost ladder. It's been interesting over the last three decades to see the sources go from the US to Mexico to China and now other Asian countries.

I wonder how many "warped" rotors are the result of poor installation vs. rotor quality?

I would like to add that I followed the advice of the pros here, spent $30 on a Harbor Freight clamp style dial gauge, allowing me to i.d. and/or tweak any run out to alleviate that failure mode.

Why not just go with elements 3 all round, pads and rotors. Not expensive, perform well, last and resist corrosion very well.
This is the type of DD is what these are really targeted towards and do well in.
Well, I already got the Akebono pads ordered. Probably should’ve made this thread first! 😅

Thanks for the recommendation. Now to look for E3 rotors?

On our Toyota I found I can get Toyota Made in Usa (What the box says, whether the slugs were made in china and shipped here I do not know) rotors for 10 dollars more than a premium aftermarket. No noise, no drama. They only reason I had to replace the rotors was because a caliper hung up and warped the rotor. No one locally machines rotors anymore.

On our Toyota I found I can get Toyota Made in Usa (What the box says, whether the slugs were made in china and shipped here I do not know) rotors for 10 dollars more than a premium aftermarket. No noise, no drama. They only reason I had to replace the rotors was because a caliper hung up and warped the rotor. No one locally machines rotors anymore.
Really no parts stores machine rotors there anymore? Here every parts place does it makes them a profit. When I was in Auto Zone last night someone was having theirs machined.

Well, I already got the Akebono pads ordered. Probably should’ve made this thread first! 😅

Thanks for the recommendation. Now to look for E3 rotors?
Some pads do not play well with all rotors. They may not be a problem at all or they may grind the rotor up badly.
I know what pads and rotors play well together on the stuff I commonly use eg Textar, Pagid, Advics and ATE pads play well with ATE, Zimmerman, Pagid rotors are just some examples. With the Elements 3 I have only used the pads and rotors and they work well together.
I am not a fan of Akebono (personal preference) and never use today them so I no experience with them.

These are elements 3 rear rotors, calipers and pads on a VW, they are on their third winter with almost 30K, the thing lives in salt. They do look better than OE at the same time/miles. I have to wash it next week, we just had a couple of storms with more on the way and it will be running through it. The E brake still works perfectly which is the very common failure point with these even with OE calipers. $200 on the door for everything and almost 1K for OE.

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

Since I’m now looking primarily at Raybestos themselves, and looking into the Element 3... they offer several options with the PN 96087. It appears the E3s have “FZN” on the ending. I suppose “frozen?” 🤷‍♂️🤣

I live in Atlanta GA and sometimes get road salts. It is definitely a humid environment and suppose it would benefit from the coating.

The Element 3s come in at a great deal for this vehicle on RA. Under $16 per rotor before S&T.

Their “R” line appears to be economy/basic replacement per RA.

That said, Amazon shows good reviews for their higher priced Raybestos aka the “AC Delco Gold / Professional” but RA lists the same item number under Street Performance?

Will the Element 3 work as well for the price savings?

I could be overthinking it. $16 beats the $50+ for Napa Ultras.

Not just yes but H double hockey sticks yes! Trust amazon reviews about as far as you can throw your car. Those rotors in the picture cost $11ea, not rusted, gouged and run true. IMHO you cant beat that, its a DD and winter rat but those brakes are more than good enough for anything except the highest performing or severe service vehicles again IMO.

@Trav thanks for expounding on that and sharing your experience. I’m certainly weighing your input as well.

Supposedly, Akebono made the OE pads on this 07 Fit.

However, the Pro Act may be a slightly different item and overall composition from my research. That said, don’t most ceramic pads have less bite generally speaking; the whole noise marketing? And, more importantly, they tend to wear more slowly.

I actually saved the previous Napa Premiums as a backup, but shops I used in the past for resurfacing rotors either no longer do or charge $30 per rotor; hence looking at new.

Years ago Bendix had USA made ceramic pads that were like boat anchors but when they started producing or more than likely buying them in China performance really dropped off so I cant throw all ceramics in the same boat. The elements 3 are a ceramic hybrid with a good rating.
Try the Akebono they may be fine and you have them coming anyway, if the rotors get torn up its not a huge loss.

Back