Rotor retaining screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
When getting an accident repair done at my wonderful Acura dealership, they partially stripped the screws removing the rotor which is fine..... but they were nice enough put the partially stripped screws back in for me. I don't even want to think about having to get them out.
shocked2.gif
Wasn't that nice of them... What did they save a whole $0.50 at most?
smirk2.gif

Parts managers set prices, and they generally jack up the price of a .75 cent screw to around 4 or 5 dollars. Then when you call the customer and tell them it'll be an additional 20 dollars for 4 screws they usually get
mad.gif

Not making excuses, that's hack behavior by jamming em' back in, just something to think about.

I started using a tool like this:

Snap-On Screw Remover

Yes, it's expensive. A similar version could probably be found cheaper elsewhere. Technically it attaches to an air hammer and the vibration breaks the screw loose. But I've found that even without an air hammer it works great for breaking loose stubborn screws, because the handle gives extra leverage.

I quit using my hand held impact driver because the Snap-On bits are about as hard as a cough drop, they have a tendency "Snap-Off" constantly. Surprisingly the larger bits that come with the aforementioned screw remover are much more durable, and haven't broken yet, even with air hammer use.

The screws on the rotors on my %28es have a 5mm allen head. The hex has to be clean of rust and debris so the wrench will bottom out. If the hole starts wallowing out, hit the head a few tines with a ball peen hammer. This will move the metal back into the hex and the shock helps loosen the screw as well.

I replaced front rotors on a Honda Pilot and struggled to remove those screws. Ended up drilling them out and then chasing the threads intending to replace the screws with new ones. When I put on the new rotors, from O'Reilly, they did not have the holes for those screws.

one followup question:

so does the rotor itself have threads that the screws are holding on to? it sounds like drilling the head off the screws will allow the rotor to slide right off. is that correct?

That's correct. The screws are holding onto the Wheel Hub, so shearing off or drilling out the head will release the Rotor leaving you with studs on the Wheel Hub which you can just take out with Vice-Grips or sheer off.
thumbsup2.gif

I have read on a honda site that you can drill them out and the with pliers the screws come out easy. Apparently it is the head of the screw that seizes to the rotors. I have yet to hear anybody have trouble getting the screws out after drilling out the head.

I also read many people either get new screws and anti-seize them or just do not replace them.

I've never bothered replacing them on my own cars since the lugs hold it all in place but I did replace them when I did my moms brakes just because my dad was looking over my shoulder and he would still be teasing me about taking a short cut.

One should aim to get them out in one piece or have replacements ready, as they are sometimes used as jacking screws for pushing off a stubborn rotor (and there will also be threaded holes in the rotor).

UPDATE:

I changed my rotors today. On the passenger side, the screws were stuck on. Despite attempts at using the impact wrench and heat and penetrating fluid - no luck. I did drill out the heads of the bolts. time consuming, until I make a trip to Lowe's to get a titanium drill bit which worked MUCH MUCH faster. accidentally put a small hole into the hub also.

On the driver's side, I was prepared to do everything again, but this the the impact wrench worked wonders and the screws came right out!! Certainly easier when the impact wrench works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back