Rotor retaining screws

Status
Not open for further replies.
The two retaining screws on my front rotors for a 03 honda CRV are stuck. I even used an impact driver (hand held - hit with hammer type) on it. No movement. I've heard folks "drilling out" the screws. Does this mean you guys are using a screw extractor set, or does it mean you're simply drilling the screw to make it crumble/fall apart?

Take a propane torch to them to heat them up extremely well, and then give them a few hits with the hammer on the screw driver and then give 'em a turn.
thumbsup2.gif

Those screws are just to keep the rotors from falling off on the assembly line. You could just drill the head off then try vise grips after the rotor is off. If that does not work just grind them flush. I bought my civic new and i pulled these screws and anti-seized them. They come right out . Best of luck!

Originally Posted By: ajchien
The two retaining screws on my front rotors for a 03 honda CRV are stuck. I even used an impact driver (hand held - hit with hammer type) on it. No movement. I've heard folks "drilling out" the screws. Does this mean you guys are using a screw extractor set, or does it mean you're simply drilling the screw to make it crumble/fall apart?

This happened to me once, and I used a Sear's screw extraction bit mounted on a drill to reverse it out.

Oh, many on the web said they cut a slit on the screw and use a flat screw driver to get it out.

I would avoid torches, it could damage other parts if you are not careful.

On my 2007 Honda Accord they have the same thing and was able to get them out with an impact screw driver. I wish they would just use the little clip like Chrysler on one of the wheel studs...

The factory screws are always a PITA to remove. I always advise friends/family to let me take their wheels off when new and spray those screws with penetrating fluid and put them back in so they aren't seized like this when the first time comes around.

The torch works fine, have done it many times and have seen my dad do it many times... Won't damage anything.

Just heat the the screw and slightly around the screw for about 30 seconds and give it a try. If not, apply some more heat.

cheers3.gif

On my saturn, and my fords, they used a circular clip type thing that held the rotor in place when it was going down the line.

Sounds much easier than screws. I just grab it with a needle-nosed pliers, and pull it until it rips in half.

I heard that they aren't just for the assembly line, that they also make sure that the drum stays straight causing a more even wear pattern on the drum. Just what I heard, and I don't know how true it is...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The factory screws are always a PITA to remove. I always advise friends/family to let me take their wheels off when new and spray those screws with penetrating fluid and put them back in so they aren't seized like this when the first time comes around.

cheers3.gif

What a great piece of advice for the first rotate and balance!
Most excellent!
thumbsup2.gif

Heat is good. But not just warm. Real hot and isolated heat.
Maybe you are using the impact hammer wrong.
Don't be offended - line it up with the proper bit in the screw head, turn it counter clockwise - it should rotate internally, then bang it hard with a 2-3 lb hand sledge.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Heat is good. But not just warm. Real hot and isolated heat.
Maybe you are using the impact hammer wrong.
Don't be offended - line it up with the proper bit in the screw head, turn it counter clockwise - it should rotate internally, then bang it hard with a 2-3 lb hand sledge.

Well, thats my other option other than drilling the screws out. I probably do not have a big enough hammer. So either I buy a bigger hammer, slege type, or I use my drill - which I already have.

Some of them holding the rotors on you have put back right on.The last one I did with this set up was a Cadillac Catera and it is a 5mm hex headed bolt.It helps line up the holes for the lug bolts which this vehicle does not use lug studs.You will have to drill the head of the screw out.

When getting an accident repair done at my wonderful Acura dealership, they partially stripped the screws removing the rotor which is fine..... but they were nice enough put the partially stripped screws back in for me. I don't even want to think about having to get them out.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
When getting an accident repair done at my wonderful Acura dealership, they partially stripped the screws removing the rotor which is fine..... but they were nice enough put the partially stripped screws back in for me. I don't even want to think about having to get them out.
shocked2.gif
Wasn't that nice of them... What did they save a whole $0.50 at most?
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back