Rotella T6 vs Mobil 1 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd use the Mobil 1 0W40. The T6 will poison the cat faster.

How, they have the same phosphorus, and the M1 has 0.3% more sulfated ash ?

Or are you just using that one's "C" something, and the other "S" something.

The M1 carries VW 502.00 and 505.00 approvals and T6 doesn't, if that matters to you.

Otherwise, at a makeup rate of 1 qt/1k miles it probably doesn't matter.

Burning oil at that rate, the cat is probably already poisoned.
M1 0w40 is probably better for a VW application because it has VW approvals.
But it seems like a waste pouring a quart of synthetic oil in every 1000 miles. Why not just carry a 5qt jug of 10w40 MaxLife?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
But it seems like a waste pouring a quart of synthetic oil in every 1000 miles. Why not just carry a 5qt jug of 10w40 MaxLife?

The Maxlife would be my first choice as well.

I'd go with M1 5W-40 TDT. I've found that I have significantly lower oil consumption with this oil in my Jaguar X-Type. Rotella T6 tends to shear more rapidly and the engine consumes it faster.

Originally Posted By: rw19
What do you think is better for a turbo VW application?

First off, what year? If you're not worried about the actual VW approvals on the product, something like T6 or Delvac 1 will be cheaper for you. The advice so far has been well intentioned, but we don't get M1 0w-40 in jugs up here and pay anywhere from $9 on sale to $12 or more regular price a litre for the product whereas T6 and Delvac 1 can be had from the distributor for half that.

If you're under warranty or are concerned about having the appropriate approvals, use the M1 0w-40 or other approved lube. If not, there are other options.

Cujet: The TDT is too expensive up here, thanks to Walmart's and CT's price gouging; that's why I recommended a distributor for T6 or Delvac 1.
wink.gif

We need more info about the car in question. VW says burning 1 qt every 1k miles is normal in the 2.0T cars (at least older ones). It's very normal for this particular 2.0T to eat/burn oil; what oil do you currently use? If out of VW's powertrain warranty, I'd suggest T6. I've read of many people doing this and reporting a little lower oil loss, but having an engine that runs at least as well, some better, with the T6.

Originally Posted By: rw19
This is a gas 2.0t jetta that burns oil. a quart ever 1k

Is it getting past the rings, stem seals, PVC system or a gasket? Whatever the cause, fix it and stop wasting your time, oil and money.

The 2006 Audi A3 with 115k miles I have was burning a quart every 1k, but I had the dealer perform the PVC "extended warranty" (VW/Audi's way of saying it's not a recall but it should be). The warranty goes till 120k miles or 10 years, whichever is first. Now it burns about 1 quart every 4k of M1 0w40. The engine idles a lot smoother after the PCV change.

I did run M1 TDT for 5k and it burned a little less, but not significantly less. I decided to get the warranty work done to see if it would alleviate the problem and so far it has. I now run M1 0w40.

In addition to the PCV warranty, there's
1. Intake Manifold Runner Flap Motor
2. Camshaft/Cam follower
3. High Pressure Fuel Pump

I got all of these replaced for free, but it only applies to 2006-2008 2.0t

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

I really like Mobil 1 0W40 but I agree that you should try Maxlife 10W40...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back