Rotella T6 / JASO MA

I had used Rotella T6 5W-40 oil in my ATV's in the past, as it carried the JASO MA rating.

I was looking for more oil recently, & noticed that the specification/ rating is not on the newer bottles.
Have they changed the formulation?

Can it still be used in an ATV with wet clutches?
When did they changes the ratings?

Thanks

We've had long threads on this subject and the consensus is that Rotella T6 was never JASO licensed but only "recommended for". Now is is no longer recommended for that application.

The label was never marked in accordance with JASO Implementation Manual Appendix 5: http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV1904.pdf which it should be if it had the actual license, nor was it ever on their published licensing list.

This is how it would have been listed had it been licensed:

full-4879-32536-jaso.jpg

look for something with jaso MA2
but not MA1

Jaso MA was split into those and MA2 is better.
its possible that Jaso MA is as good as MA2 but we dont know... but sometimes it will say both MA and MA2 which is fine.

While this is an amsoil link it does provide some clarity on the subject

Here is a list of oils with the Jaso-MA2 rating at summit racing.

if you are looking for cheaper in a 15w40
ROTELLA® T4 TripleProtection ® 15W-40 is jaso ma2 is about $35 for 10qt jug.

Edit:
According to this datasheet which I just found..
T6 is Jaso MA2?

Last edited:
Had it in our Kawasaki Bayou 250 for years. Change it every year before deer season. 17 years old and still as reliable as the day my parents bought it. It was the farm truck of the farm for a long time.

It has been my understanding for a long time anything not having "Energy Conserving" is ok for wet clutch. I put M1 15-50 in all cycles, atv's and UTV's no clutch issues under high HP conditions.
I think we all can agree on avoiding Energy Conserving oil, also that moly additives are to be avoided.

Personally, for powersports I like to at least match the specs of the company's own oil, which you can find here:

Kawasaki's KTECH oil is here: https://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/engine/accessories/kawasaki-4-cycle-engine-oil.html

It's your equipment, so run what you like.

EDIT: Ah nevermind, this is an old thread, wrong sub-forum. It's near the top, but in a very inactive subforum here.

This has been discussed many times. Shell Rotella oils are not on the JASO list of registered products as of 10-1-22. As far as I remember, there have been no Rotella oils registered.

The 4T_EV_LIST_10-1-22 is available online as is the JASO standard and manual of registration. To have a product reviewed, a supplier needs to submit test data, pay 40,000 Yen and provide a label for review. If the data and labels meet the standard they will register your product. It is a registration. It is not an approval, certification or endorsement. If everything is acceptable the product is added to the 4T list and the supplier is authorized to use the JASO logo that identifies the oil, where it was made, by what company and its rating. An example might be M001CBP559. This translates to Bel-Ray EXS Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil 10W-40 made in the U.S. by Calumet Branded Products which carries an MA2 rating.

Should/can this be moved out of the used analysis forum to the motorcycles and motorcycle lubrication forum?

I had used Rotella T6 5W-40 oil in my ATV's in the past, as it carried the JASO MA rating.

I was looking for more oil recently, & noticed that the specification/ rating is not on the newer bottles.
Have they changed the formulation?

Can it still be used in an ATV with wet clutches?
When did they changes the ratings?

Thanks
Where is the UOA this site is for?

I believe that T6 has had the "recommended for" removed from the data sheet.

However, the T4 15w-40 still has it on there (MA/MA2):

They show these as "specs/approvals/recommendations", and so we have no idea from that combined list as to which are approved vs recommended. Unlikely that it's "approved" by JASO for MA/MA2, but it is probably acceptable for use per Shell's confidence in own testing, etc.

Last edited:
I believe that T6 has had the "recommended for" removed from the data sheet.

However, the T4 15w-40 still has it on there (MA/MA2):

They show these as "specs/approvals/recommendations", and so we have no idea from that combined list as to which are approved vs recommended. Unlikely that it's "approved" by JASO for MA/MA2, but it is probably acceptable for use per Shell's confidence in own testing, etc.
Looks like it's still there?

I'd love to check a recent bottle, but it's unobtanium at the moment. The fresh restock of T4 at Wally World still has it.

Not there for the Multi-Vehicle 10w-30 T6, but I don't recall that ever having JASO MA/MA2.

Certain Rotella T4/T6 product labels say "meets the performance requirements of" JASO MA/MA2. This does not constitute a license or approval, it is just a statement by the oil manufacturer, Shell. The photo in Post #2 shows the proper labeling for a JASO MA-licensed oil. Having said that... I've used Rotella for years in my dirt bikes with no issues but they have very short service intervals... YMMV.

This thread hashes JASO and "meets the performance requirements" pretty good.

T4 15w40 rotella is about the strongest clutch oil to be had, most MC oils dont have the level of grip, at the same time, I dont like the stuff cause too much grip. The Mobil 1300 15w40 super diesil is also strong as any mc oil on the market in regards to clutch slip.

I've never considered using Rotella because it's only available in odd ball weights. One of my bikes calls for 10W-30, and the other 10W-40. I've never seen Rotella in these weights...

I've never considered using Rotella because it's only available in odd ball weights. One of my bikes calls for 10W-30, and the other 10W-40. I've never seen Rotella in these weights...
Do you ride in below-freezing weather?

Many of us disregard the Winter weight side of things, and focus on the right-hand number, unless it matters in our area.

For example, hot climate folks might actually appreciate 15w-40 for lower evaporative loss (NOACK). Our Northern friends might appreciate 5w-40 for colder weather starts... and the rest of us, know it hardly matters, and just like a good priced oil with JASO compatibility claims and relatively high Zinc.

Last edited:
Back