Rotella 15W-40 CJ-4 and JASO MA Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don, could you post the whole response? There might be some additional helpful information. Also wanted to see if it was my former co-worker Larry that responded.

Quote:

Don, could you post the whole response? There might be some additional helpful information. Also wanted to see if it was my former co-worker Larry that responded.

It wasn't Larry. It was a gentleman by the first name of Edward.

Here's the full content of the e-mail I received:

We appreciate your interest in the product for your application. Unfortunately, other than typical properties listed on product data sheets, we're not allowed to release other specific testing data on products, as it could provide our competitors with knowledge on specifics of our proprietary formulation. You can access the official product data sheet at

http://www.shell.com/home/PlainPageServl..._products.html.

Please choose the "Commercial Engine Oils" link in the Automotive/Trucking application category at the top of the page.

That having been said, we believe, with its decreased ash content, that Shell Rotella T Multigrade Oils with Triple Protection Technology MIGHT pass JASO MA, and our formulations group is attempting to obtain approvals to undergo the testing protocol for the specification. If it does, we would indicate that approval in the future.

Thank you for your interest in Shell Rotella Products!

That's it. What struck me about this e-mail is that Shell could have easily issued back the standard boilerplate non-committal answer about Rotella being a truck oil. This was a more positive indication of potential JASO support than I'd seen anywhere else. So I'm encouraged.

The part of about not divulging too much information about the specifics of the oil's performance is understandable. After all, my ultimate objective is "JASO MA: Yes or No?" so the specifics of each test is less of a concern. Would be nice but not critical.

sence they said they are going for it, then they must believe it will pass. otherwise why bother to go for it?
so perhaps this means one day rotella will contain the jaso ma rating on the bottle. but for now i bet its perfectly fine for use in bikes.

by the way my 2005 bmw boxer cup does indeed have a dry clutch. its also got an alternator belt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back