Sus@210F (should be 68 - 78): 69.5
FlashInF (should be > 390): 390
Fuel% (should be < 2.0): trace
Antifreeze% (should be 0): 0
Water% (should be < 0.1): 0
Insolubles% (should be < 0.6): 0.2

TBN (started out ~10.1): 6.1

Questions

Q1 - Aside from copper, wear metals look pretty good, particularly for a new bike. Am I reading that correctly?

Q2 - Any idea about the copper? Blackstone comments say it's probably due to the relatively few miles on the bike and it's not a problem. Agree?

Q3 - Where in the world would that moly be coming from? Virgin oil supposedly has none. Residual from coating applied at factory?

Q4 - I'm curious about the phosphorus and zinc. If the VOA of this oil is to be believed, it started out ph=989 and zn=1208. Can anti-wear additives degrade over time?

Q5 - Blackstone reports "The viscosity of the sample read on the low side for a 15W/40 but it still read normally." How does that look to people -- low, average or high shearing for 2,724 miles in a shared sump Goldwing?

Q6 - With a TBN of 6.1, the wear metals relatively low and the viscosity still holding at (low) 15W-40 ... what's the consensus on how far this oil could have been taken?

Q7 - Any comments or feedback?

I like Rotella for it's price. It did not hold it's viscosity well in my shared-sump bikes, so, instead of having to change it so often, I changed to a different oil. As long as you are willing to change it fairly often (which IS a good strategy, if you don't mind it), I think it performed well. Moly: Factory assembly. Copper: newer bike. Phos and Zinc: The important question is not how much these dropped, but, what is an appropriate level of each. I think these are appropriate levels. Good report overall, don't you think?

In general I'm well pleased with the report. I had no expectation of Rotella 15W-40 being some kind of miraculous "super oil" ... my view was -- and is now more or less confirmed -- that Rotella 15W-40 Triple Protection is a pretty darn good $9/gallon oil for 3K OCIs.

17 ppm of moly isn't much. Looks okay, maybe rotella is not quite as good as it was back in the CI-4 days. For $9 a gallon its hard to say no. Remember when it was $4?

Quote:

In general I'm well pleased with the report. I had no expectation of Rotella 15W-40 being some kind of miraculous "super oil" ... my view was -- and is now more or less confirmed -- that Rotella 15W-40 Triple Protection is a pretty darn good $9/gallon oil for 3K OCIs.

100% agree! In fact, with a shared sump system, 3K OCI's with Rotella might be so good, you couldn't do better from an overall economic standpoint. Ride on, brother!

Question -- the Goldwing is a water cooled bike. Could the outside temperatures of Tucson in June and July -- 95 to 110 degrees -- have contributed to the viscosity loss? Or is outside heat somewhat of a non-issue in water cooled bikes?

I don't think these water cooled bikes have T'stat so air temp is a player as the operating temp factor to a point where the fan kicks in and that is mostly with slow moving bikes such as in traffic.

I checked Ron Ayers and the 1800cc Goldwings have a thermostat and controlled fans. Heck, my low-budget low-tech 2007 Honda CBR125R has a thermostat and a thermostatically controlled cooling fan
wink.gif

I never opened it up for a look.
Due to so much coolant temp variations, I felt for all practical reasons the coolant temp is not conrolled like cars at a single temp like 188F plus minus.
All fans ae conrolled by a temp sensor in the radiator not really T'stat but they say it is tstkly controlled.

Well this is good news. I own an '07 Gold Wing and it has its' first 10,000+ miles on Rotella 15W-40 with 2.5k OCI. Just switched to Rotella 5W-40. I was thinking 4K OCI with the 5W-40.

BTW, the manual calls out 10W-30. Is this an EPA thing? Or would the 10W-30 be better in some way? It's not an issue at present - try finding a 10W-30 without that little "Energy Conserving" statement on it..... I COULD buy the Genuine Honda 10W-30. Not.

Quote:

BTW, the manual calls out 10W-30. Is this an EPA thing? Or would the 10W-30 be better in some way? It's not an issue at present - try finding a 10W-30 without that little "Energy Conserving" statement on it..... I COULD buy the Genuine Honda 10W-30. Not.

It must be an EPA thing, or a fuel efficiency thing or something. I think using a 10W-40 is absolutely fine. In fact, the owners manual allows for 10W-40 at higher temperatures. But the truth is, the 2007 Goldwing engine is probably no different from the '05 engine, and that called for a 10W-40.

Quote:

Quote:

It must be an EPA thing, or a fuel efficiency thing or something. I think using a 10W-40 is absolutely fine. In fact, the owners manual allows for 10W-40 at higher temperatures. But the truth is, the 2007 Goldwing engine is probably no different from the '05 engine, and that called for a 10W-40.

Yeah, that's what I figured.

I've been a lurker here for about two years - this is only my second post. Been running Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 in all my water-cooled bikes. Before that, I just used the 15W-40 w/2.5K OCI. Too bad they don't make a 20W-50 for my Harleys. Sent various samples in for analysis and it looks good. Ah, but I'm always searching for that ONE majic motor oil.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back