Rotator cuff injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Blaze
. The part that concerns me is the "popping" sound I heard when I fell. That had to be some type of tear and obviously a full yr later it has not healed.

I agree, your situation was caused by trauma from the fall, therefore I'm leaning toward rotator cuff type injury rather than tendonitis, bursitis.

Again, I would be in no rush for surgery, the recovery time and follow up physical therapy is rough and after going through all that there is no guarantee it doesn't tear again, perhaps to the point where surgery won't help.

Update. Insurance wanted PT before they would schedule/approve an MRI. After PT I now have this relentless arm pain in the bicep, tricep and top of forearm. Therapist is 100% positive I have a tear because she has seen the exact symptoms over and over in her practice. I did have arm pain before but that rubber band excersize really enhanced it. Doctor appointment in nine days to get MRI approval.

I had a slight tear in a rotator cuff tendon from getting electrocuted on a 220 outlet - shoulder popped out.
shocked2.gif

I declined surgery and put my shoulder in a sling and did contrast temperature therapy (ice pack for 5 minutes then heating pad back and forth, do it all day long if you can - promotes blood flow faster healing) for a few weeks until all the pain went away and slowly transitioned to physical therapy.

I'd maybe try that before even thinking about surgery unless it's so far gone that surgery is the only option. I've had so many tendon injuries where surgery was suggested, and the above methods have worked for me - the key is rest and contrast temp therapy BEFORE even thinking about strengthening, but strengthening is super important.

I had tennis elbow so bad before I thought I'd never be able to go fishing or do anything ever again, and using various physical therapy techniques found online fixed it for good!

The key with shoulder injuries is strengthening your upper back muscles; modern life working at a computer, or doing routine things, has humans slouching forward with poor posture which makes your pecks get stronger than your upper back and tends to get shoulder impingement. But ONLY do strengthening exercises when all the pain is gone.

Last edited:
My doctor gave me an Rx of prendisone a week before PT. It did help some to cut pain before I started PT. Also taking melexocam for inflammation and pain. Ice seems to be the most beneficial for pain. 20 mins several times a day.

After a few days of just ice, try the contrast therapy - 5 minutes of ice, 5 minutes of heat, 5 minutes of ice etc. Do it all day when you're sitting around relaxing. Do it for a month if you have to. I'm telling you it works.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
After a few days of just ice, try the contrast therapy - 5 minutes of ice, 5 minutes of heat, 5 minutes of ice etc. Do it all day when you're sitting around relaxing. Do it for a month if you have to. I'm telling you it works.
Yes, Drew the PT included that in my take home lessons. I had no idea how common this injury was. The PT said her entire day was people just like me with the same injury. Most were doing post surgery PT.

Back when I was having shoulder/rotator cuff issues that stemmed from muscle imbalance and overuse (paddling a surfboard), I had to see the GP and get the PT referral, then I did the PT thing for 6 weeks, before I got the OK from insurance provider to go see an Orthopedic Surgeon. He said he can go in there and shave off some bone which is causing the impingement. Looked like he was salivating at the chance to cut into me.

That first, and only Visit, I wound up getting a cortizone shot. When he got the needle into the joint, fluid squirted out under pressure all over his lab coat before his thumb got near the plunger, and right afterwards it felt better. He gave me 2 weeks worth of hydrocodone saying it would feel like I got hit with a sledgehammer the next day and to fill the prescription that day and start taking it to head off the pain .

The pain the next day was nothing, I never filled the opoid prescription, and I was soon surfing again.

That was my left shoulder. Some 5 years later, my right shoulder became painful in the same exact manner. Without insurance this time I went straight to an Orthapedic surgeon asked for cortizone, but of course had to get X rays and pay out the keester for it while being irradiated over and over again by xray techs who looked like they had about 2 IQ points combined and could not get a clear image of my shoulder. Finally got the Cortizone shot, but no fluid ejection under pressure that time on that shoulder. That was in 2003 but the pain disappeared soon after and I could begin to use it again.

My only shoulder problems since are from hyperextension, by holding onto a 25Lb surfboard going over the falls on a tubing wave, and not being able to hold onto it tightly enough. It was getting worse with only rest and Ice. I had to keep using it, and adjusting my paddling stroke to minimize impingement/ clicking, and soon was able to do the 6 Lbs of weight circles thing.

Muscle imbalance is at the the root of many joint issues, in my opinion, even after an obvious incident/ injury, as one quickly learns how to avoid using musces which cause the pain. Surfing made my back and neck muscles much stronger than my upper chest muscles, and my youth and impatience kept me from learning to stretch properly and actually stretching on the beach before applying 100% of available torque to my shoulder joint when paddling for a wave, and surfing is 95% paddling.

Just beware that Docs are not there to cure you, they are there to extract as much money as possible from 'treating' you. Hippocratic oath my keeester, unless it has changed to 'do nothing but that which ensures maximum profit.'

Max profit includes kickbacks from Big Pharma for every prescription they write, and people love to believe that the cure requires only swallowing some magical hyper expensive pill, whose long term downsides are completely unknown. Basically one gets to pay for the privilage of being a labrat, when a placebo usually can work just as well.

I have. Painful and slow to heal indeed. I always thought hanging from a tall horizontal bar was good to stretch the upper body + the back. Over time, it evidently loosened several shoulder tenons where I now had "excessive movement".

Then while doing inclined dumbell shoulder presses I was told this may have not been good. Kayaking one trip for about 14mi had one shoulder completely swollen and "impingdment" occurred. I was unable to lift my arm straight out and over my head as there was no longer enough clearance within the joint.

I got a script for a PT, did research, tooks lots of advil and the exercises. Took 6-7 months to be able to lift the arm vertical again. Also made me afraid of my kayak, which was a BIG BUMMER.

I lost range-of-motion and flexibility, no doubt due to scar tissue. A few years back I re-aggravated the left shoulder while doing sled work. Next day it was out-of-sight painfull and swollen. Ice & Ibuprofen. Then went to Mobic. I found an old oxycontin?...didn't do anything for the pain. Wore a sling to "take the load off". Pain finally subsided after 5 days I think. (Obviously blocked it out....).

Never went for surgery or MRI. No insurance either. Couldn't afford it being self-employed. No more hanging from an overhead bar, no more above the shoulder weight lifting either. I can now kayak but avoid overdoing it. I've since learned that many kayakers encounter shoulder problems over time.

And here I though lateral tendonitis was painful.....HA!

I had a very similar experience in February 2017 due to falling on an icy sidewalk.

we have an excellent physiotherapist who I figured I'd try first. She diagnosed a torn or damaged rotator cuff, and fixed me up with a few sessions of physiotherapy over a couple of months. I was glad to have avoided surgery.

I'm continuing with PT (second round) and at this point the shoulder feels pretty good. Although I do have some loss of range of motion and slight tendinitis. Here is the MRI report basics. No major or complete tears.

Impression

1. Mild edema and thickening of the capsule at the axillary recess is a finding associated with adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder).

2. Mild generative signal in the inferior and superior labrum.
There may be a coexistent small tear of the superior labrum

3. Mild supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendinosis

4. Mild acromioclavicular osteoarthritis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back