Ross Chastain

Did anyone watch today's race at Martinsville? What do you think of that last lap? Holy Crap. Ross Chastain has been one of the guys I was pulling for the past couple of years. And that last lap move was simply amazing. The fact that he was even smart enough to try something like that, which has never been done before, has me in awe. And he even got an attaboy from Hamlin. Now I just hope that Hamlin leaves him be and let next weeks race progress as it should

Don

Did anyone watch today's race at Martinsville? What do you think of that last lap? Holy Crap. Ross Chastain has been one of the guys I was pulling for the past couple of years. And that last lap move was simply amazing. The fact that he was even smart enough to try something like that, which has never been done before, has me in awe. And he even got an attaboy from Hamlin. Now I just hope that Hamlin leaves him be and let next weeks race progress as it should

Don
Remember what Hamlin said... "I'll pay him back when it counts". Next week it will count.

Separate from the Chastain thing.
The 6-Car was DQ'd for not meeting minimum weight.

I'm still in disbelief in what I saw the 1-Car do today. That was nuts!

The only way it could have been better is if it were for the win. Still though, an unbelievable move. I've been watching racing a long time and I've never seen that before! However, NASCAR is gonna have that move outlawed by today probably so we'll never see it again except on the highlight replays.

NASCAR needs something to boost popularity. That move was great. I’m old but in my opinion the races should be on Saturday (won’t complete with NFL) and shorten the races. Nobody has 4 to 5 hours to park in front of the TV. The races were designed for endurance back when manufacturers touted their car’s reliability etc. These aren’t “stock cars” of 60 years ago… in my opinion.

312360221_3208472219412887_4064682975281113220_n.jpg

I guess I am in the minority I didn't think it was good. I'm not a Hamlin or Chastain fan but that was a no talent move. I like good hard racing, but between Gibbs and Chastain this weekend I think Nascar continues to be a joke.

To me, that IS good hard racing. I can see how some would see it as distasteful though. The fans seemed to love it.

It's like in football, when you're down by 5 with 2 second on the clock, and you send a hail mary to the end zone hoping someone comes up with it. I see this as sorta the same thing. He sent a hail mary, and it worked.

Last edited:
One thing is for certain, had it not worked it would have gone down in history as one of the most boneheaded moves in racing history. But it worked and will go down in history as one of the most incredible moves in racing history.

Scott
He didn't really have anything to lose?
I miss the late 90's early 2000's where they were running 10K RPMs and were allowed to chose their own rear-end gear. You had to see who had the better engine builder and who could make the engine last 500 miles. The cars were harder to drive and they gambled more with the engines. You rarely see an engine blow anymore.

I liked that "riding the wall" move. It shows that racing can be what it is, racing! The move was creative, gutsy and in my mind, inspiring. I think that could help NASCAR pull away from it's doldrums. Yes, I am sure that the powers that be will create new rules to prevent disasters from happening in future racing and it is necessary.

If I was racing and got passed by Ross by that move, I would want to shake his hand and say to him "good move"! Denny Hamlin's interview seemed like he takes creative moves by others too seriously and doesn't seem to enjoy racing. Maybe he is more team owner and less of a racer?

I salute Ross for that move!

Back