Roof rack recommendation/feedback

Our family of 4 is quickly outgrowing our Chevy Cruze. Seems like if we want to take any vacation down the road there is going to be things that need to get left behind, big thing is a stroller.

Wondering if it is worth considering an aftermarket roof rack for the occasional trip or its just a terrible idea? Also any recommendations of ones to look at that would last?

+1 BIG TIME.
Unless the roof is so small as to make an "RFRK" (old newspaper adspeak) useless, you can't go wrong with one.
Get whichever fits best or most 'originally'.
Don't overlook the "basket style" roof carrier.

I went Yakima for a kayak carrier system and so far I like it over Thule products. I'm running Thule Aero bars on F150 since 2015 and they have been solid but I would look at Yakima if I had to buy again.

I see those big plastic roof storage containers shaped like a bullet for sale on FB a lot for cheap. More aerodynamic and keeps stuff dry, of course need a rack to sit it on.

I have had a thule rack (square bars) for 25 years I think - as long as I have been married. I have had to buy new fit kits for the different vehicles we have owned, but we now use it on our 2019 Rav4. Yakima are good also. Buy once cry once.

OEM racks are generally garbage, or at least all the ones I have had or seen.

If you regularly need to use a roof rack, you probably need a bigger car.
Define regularly. I put our rack on for vacations, etc. Other than that we fit fine in our car for around town. All my neighbors drive giant SUV's daily to accommodate a trip they make a couple times a year - seems illogical to me.

Its also nice sometimes to put the wet and smelly beach or sports stuff somewhere other than inside the car.

Yakima and Thule are like Coke and Pepsi. Each has their own devotees, but I've owned both and they're of similar quality and taste.

The pricing was a lot more reasonable when they sold them in base packages, which included the bars and towers. Then add the fit kit and desired attachements.

That went out the door when they adoped the à la carte model completely, where each component was sold separately, and had its own built-in profit margin. Little has changed in terms of what they're selling today, it just costs a lot more. It adds up, and more so with what be may be essential extras like locks.

As a side effect, I've also sold both brands on the used market, and have never had an easier time selling something, with many inquiries.

I'm not up on the current designs, but when I got my rack, the first thing I looked at was how well the car-specific kit was designed for my car. In this respect, Thule, being a European company (that also does OEM supply) has perhaps a leg up for certain applications. After rain gutters stopped becoming a part of car designs, the job to design fit kits became more complicated, unless the OEM built-in provisions for roof racks.

Secondarily, though still important, were the designs of the attachments I intended to use. This aspect became less of a factor when they both started to design their attachments to fit both systems, in what was then a choice between round or square bars, so one wasn't necessarily tied to the same maker as the base rack, and could mix and match.

In terms of care and feeding, they can be fussy, or a hassle to install/remove, so take that into account as well. Again, the old rain gutters made it much easier, since with tower spacing fixed, and ready landing spots, all that was needed was to lower them into place, and tighten them up.

With "aero" towers, that rest on rubber feet on the surface of the roof, there is likely to be some fine tuning, if not adjustment, involved each time, and specific recommended spacing to be heeded -- how far the bars are set back, and the distance between them, in addition to the width. Also want to avoid setting them down on a dirty roof, and risk marring the paint.

A roof rack will also generate some noise, and affect fuel efficiency. One tip, if you don't want to spend $100+ for a small piece of plexiglass and some hardware (I didn't) sold as a fairing, is to spiral wrap a rope, or cord, around the front bar, which will at least cut down some of the noise, in a cheapskate way. Vortex shedding and all that.

Do some shopping. A good sporting goods store should have setups for both. Might also want to check out the used market and see if there is any options there. Not much to go wrong with some plastic coated metal bars and some hardware, and if there is, spare parts are available.

That doesn't work for all. I use my rack often for a canoe and a kayak. How large a car we going to carry a 17ft canoe and a 15 ft kayak? I'll stick with the rack and an Outback.

Vacation/occasional trip as mentioned in the OP. New car is pretty much the nuclear option/overkill for my situation, even if I do have the new car itch.

Last edited:
Thule and Yakima are both pretty similar, both high quality. The Genuine MINI rack on my Clubman is made by Thule, as is the cargo box.

D9AC3DDE-996E-4CFC-B1BD-60C16111F4A0.jpeg

Another option would be a small trailer like a SPACE Trailer

625 lbs empty and can be towed by any small car. I have a much larger aluminum trailer (800 lbs.) that I tow with my Clubman for furniture, drywall, etc., but I want to get one of these smaller SPACE trailers for road trips.

(Not my photo)
C8865F39-A2B0-45B8-BE94-A4184FC9C2FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Most of the CUV’s on the market have less cargo space then the same class sedan.

I bought a Rhino Rack for the Acura TL. It was about $100 less then the two big boys on the market. I would stay away from the Amazon Chinese or Turkish made universal racks.

I have had a thule rack (square bars) for 25 years I think - as long as I have been married. I have had to buy new fit kits for the different vehicles we have owned, but we now use it on our 2019 Rav4. Yakima are good also. Buy once cry once.

OEM racks are generally garbage, or at least all the ones I have had or seen.

Define regularly. I put our rack on for vacations, etc. Other than that we fit fine in our car for around town. All my neighbors drive giant SUV's daily to accommodate a trip they make a couple times a year - seems illogical to me.

Its also nice sometimes to put the wet and smelly beach or sports stuff somewhere other than inside the car.
All of my VW OEM racks have been far from garbage. My Toyota Highlander OEM rack...sure, it doesn't have a T-slot, like the European racks... but it works fine, and is pretty quiet and doesn't kill fuel economy like the Thule-made racks for VW.

All of my VW OEM racks have been far from garbage. My Toyota Highlander OEM rack...sure, it doesn't have a T-slot, like the European racks... but it works fine, and is pretty quiet and doesn't kill fuel economy like the Thule-made racks for VW.
If the VW ones are good then that's great. The OEM racks I have had - Jeep, Ford, Nissan and I looked at Toyota for our new rav were made from thin formed aluminum with plastic fixtures that attached to the actual roof, and while they likely would hold the rated load, they never instilled confidence. The Jeep ones and Toyota I looked at (didn't buy) sat higher than needed - probably because that lessens the wind noise you hear - but also moves your load higher than needed. None of mine fit aftermarket attachments very well.

Some places are now getting the rack manufacturers to make racks for them to sell OEM. I think Subura now uses Yakima or something similar.

To each their own. The ergonomics and appearance to factory racks are always better because they were designed for that particular car.

Back